Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is this a thing? "set and forget" guitar necks

What's Hot
I want to get a guitar neck (or a full guitar?) that won't move due to changes in humidity etc.

It annoys me way more than it really should whenever I need to do a truss-rod adjustment.

Currently I'm waiting on http://www.usacustomguitars.com/ to re-open (I emailed them and they've said they're not accepting orders until they've finished a workshop move).

They can do a neck with:
1. Quatersawn roasted maple
2. Carbon re-enforcement 
3. "Fat-Back" neck profile (big...)

I've already built up a partscaster with a fat-back Warmoth neck, and I know I like it ... so that seems like a plan.

I thought I'd ask you guys for a bit of a "sense-check" while I wait for the above shop to open, and to see if you have any ideas.

I have been thinking about a Vigier, but I don't know if:
a) I'd like it, as I've never put my hand on one
b) I like the idea of just getting a neck, then I can mix and match at a later date

Anything else I should think about?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2794
    Blimey. I’ve got 7 guitars and a bass and never had to use the truss rod :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2427
    Me neither! Do you live in an extreme climate or something?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23064

I should leave this to @ICBM or someone before I display my ignorance, but I believe even a fat, roasted, quartersawn neck is capable of warping or twisting, although I guess the carbon fibre rods will help. 

And then even if you do have an adjustable trussrod the neck might be so stiff and sturdy it'd be hard for the trussrod to rectify any problem.

It's going to be less potentially problematic than an Ibanez Wizard, though, I expect.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    The best way to guarantee no movement is to use carbon fibre, like Vigier. Pretty much anything made of wood can move with humidity changes when under tension, no matter how straight the grain or how thick it is. Some necks don't, much - but I would not rely on it with no means of correcting it if necessary.

That said I don't really see why adjusting a rod is that big a deal, if the adjuster is put somewhere sensible.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30306
    I injured myself while adjusting my truss rod. Spent 6 months in traction while recovering from the horrific injuries I sustained.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 721
    edited October 2019
    Interesting opinions already!

I'm surprised no-one seems to have the same issues as me ... I feel like I'm doing something wrong...

I find that in the winter going from central heated places into the cold (even putting it in a nice case), and moving back to a different heated place, I get the necks of my guitars doing crazy thing - it moves inconsistently, and it takes a bit of time to settle when I get the thing to/from the new place.

This goes all from my Jem, set neck painted 80's charvel, and my Yamaha Billy Sheehan (huge necked) Bass.

I have a partscaster I'm playing a lot ... now that's the only thing I really play out with, so thought i'd try and get that thing "fixed up".
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    Some guitars definitely are very sensitive, and if it was something that didn't then settle down I would probably find it annoying, especially if it was a truss rod that's under a screwed-on cover.

The size of the neck is no guide at all, in fact large necks can actually move *more* than small ones because if it's humidity-sensitive there is more wood to counteract the truss rod.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Have you considered an exorcism?
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • Have you considered an exorcism?
    Can you recommend somewhere with good parking?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Some guitars definitely are very sensitive, and if it was something that didn't then settle down I would probably find it annoying, especially if it was a truss rod that's under a screwed-on cover.

The size of the neck is no guide at all, in fact large necks can actually move *more* than small ones because if it's humidity-sensitive there is more wood to counteract the truss rod.
    From the research (as in, I keep reading forums), it seems that the things that help on (in no particular order) are:
    1. Wood being quartersawn
    2. Roasted wood
    3. carbon re-enforcement (or at least, some kind of re-enforcement)

I'm lucky at the moment, as I have two Jems ... One has a very stable neck and the other seems to move if the wind changes. The stable one is quarter sawn and the other you can see all the grain is at a non-specific angle ... (as in ... I don't think they cared when they cut it).

I'd still want to go for a fat neck, as I like the feel and more general (not humidity related stability) - as in, if I lean on it it doesn't flex - my thin necked guitars go out of tune if I do that.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24583

That ain't going nowhere.

That's a Status - it does have a rod, but it's really only there for changing string gauges.

Vigier are 10% graphite and 90% wood. No rod. They are rock solid as well.
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Are you sure USACG is going to re-open? Word onTDPRI is they are closed for good.

• teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Not sure I'm adding much that hasn't already been said, but of all my guitars, once they've been set up I don't think I've ever had the need to subsequently adjust the truss rod. 

These are all mahogany or maple necks, bolt on and set. 

Makes me wonder whether its something to do with the environment yours are kept in?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    Another vote for Vigier
  • terada said:
    Not sure I'm adding much that hasn't already been said, but of all my guitars, once they've been set up I don't think I've ever had the need to subsequently adjust the truss rod. 

Makes me wonder whether its something to do with the environment yours are kept in?
    I'm in a flat with stupid central heating that I can't control - so it's not only hotter than it should be, it's super low humidity - I forget how low, but I bought a humidity thing to measure it and it's low %.

So that's definitely not helping. 
  • terada said:

I'm in a flat with stupid central heating that I can't control - so it's not only hotter than it should be, it's super low humidity - I forget how low, but I bought a humidity thing to measure it and it's low %.

So that's definitely not helping. 
    The suggested humidity range for no worry is 40-70%. 

I'd be surprised if your humidity is constantly lower than 40%, unless you have really full on air conditioning.  Generally it's high humidity which causes necks to move around more/acoustic guitar soundboards to expand.  Low humidity causes cracking/ebony fretboards to shrink. 
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3992
    I like my Vigiers which are completely stable, and I like my Musicman Axis which requires a truss rod adjustment every time I pick it up, made easier by the fact it has an accessible wheel. 

Necessity of constant adjustment + inaccessibility would be annoying.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Depends how sensitive you are to changes as well.. 

2 of my 3 have never been set up from the factory, the other was about 2 years ago at Feline.. 

They've probably moved but I'll be damned if I could really tell.. and I've probably become accustomed to the changes anyway.. its only if it went too low and buzzes or chokes or gets higher than what I like that I'd bother getting it set up again.. intonations ok.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Interesting opinions already!

I'm surprised no-one seems to have the same issues as me ... I feel like I'm doing something wrong...

I find that in the winter going from central heated places into the cold (even putting it in a nice case), and moving back to a different heated place, I get the necks of my guitars doing crazy thing - it moves inconsistently, and it takes a bit of time to settle when I get the thing to/from the new place.

This goes all from my Jem, set neck painted 80's charvel, and my Yamaha Billy Sheehan (huge necked) Bass.

I have a partscaster I'm playing a lot ... now that's the only thing I really play out with, so thought i'd try and get that thing "fixed up".
    It varies considerably from instrument to instrument. I have an '83 Ibanez Blazer that needs a truss rod tweak twice a year with the changing seasons - it's always been that way. But I have an '82 Ibanez Artist on which I've only ever needed to adjust the truss rod when changing to a different gauge of strings, otherwise it's just rock solid.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    is this why aluminium necks were developed?