Am a being super paranoid about fakes here?

What's Hot
I have seen this on Facebook (was previously on eBay) and I am sorely tempted as I played one in LA and the neck was perfect but I couldn't afford to bring it back with me. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EPIPHONE-LES-PAUL-SLASH-LIMITED-EDITION-IN-ANACONDA-BURST-/202803964241?nma=true&si=2r%252FOxbt1dOSWEiRHfCTXSlHjD5w%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

However I have never seen any of the Epiphone's that come with these certificates have the serial number written in blue ink? The serial number checks out, but I just find the blue ink very odd... Also it comes with 'the original hard case', which these did not, however it doesn't read like this person bought it from new so perhaps a previous owner bought the case and this owner has just assumed it came with it?

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    You snooze, you lose.  It's been sold elsewhere by the look of things
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrishill901chrishill901 Frets: 516
    edited October 2019
    Jalapeno said:
    You snooze, you lose.  It's been sold elsewhere by the look of things
    It's on Facebook now as I said and I've spoken to the guy.

No bother, I've found others of the same model with blue ink. Just me being paranoid.

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    If this helps...

When I bought my Epiphone Tommy Thayer Explorer last year, the assistant in Dawsons (Liverpool) wrote the serial number of the guitar on the COA in black biro at the point of sale. It means that if a COA is damaged before sale, another one can be used immediately and replaced by the shop later. It also means that the shop can provide a replacement after sale upon proof of purchase, if it gets damaged/lost.

On my COA the signature of Epiphone's main man is pre-printed but the artist signature is hand signed in black ink.
    I can see that on the guitar you're looking at there's no Artist signature but I don't know the model well enough to know if that's correct or not.

It's entirely possible that the person who sold the guitar new wrote it in blue ink instead of black.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alnico said:
    If this helps...

When I bought my Epiphone Tommy Thayer Explorer last year, the assistant in Dawsons (Liverpool) wrote the serial number of the guitar on the COA in black biro at the point of sale. It means that if a COA is damaged before sale, another one can be used immediately and replaced by the shop later. It also means that the shop can provide a replacement after sale upon proof of purchase, if it gets damaged/lost.

On my COA the signature of Epiphone's main man is pre-printed but the artist signature is hand signed in black ink.
    I can see that on the guitar you're looking at there's no Artist signature but I don't know the model well enough to know if that's correct or not.

It's entirely possible that the person who sold the guitar new wrote it in blue ink instead of black.
    Thank you for responding, that helps a lot

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    No problem at all.
  • I have seen what look like fake epiphone slash signatures on gumtree. Usually with things that look wrong like control knob types and position and lacking original case and accessories. You usually get a small leather folder with a slash picture and certificate and a case branded with the slash logo , lack of these does not 100% signify a fake but it makes me question if someone pays close to a grand on an epiphone signature surely you would keep all that stuff together.

there is a forum called my Les Paul and there is a thread on epiphone fakes somewhere. I think the guy who is an expert on there has an avatar that looks like Keith Richards as mother Theresa 
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2304
    edited October 2019
    If you want to verify the CoA, you'll find that they come with a guitar to prove that they haven't been forged...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom