Gibson jazz boxes

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15981
What's the least likely to feedback in a rock an' roll situation with OD and LOUD amps?

Not thinkin' of the thinner es335 type guitars here, more of the wider "jazz boxes"

Thanks guys

:)
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18952
    edited October 2019
    EDIT  Obviously don't stand too close to your amp in the first place.

Or, might sound daft, but I heard that a balloon (not hot air type...) inflated inside the guitar can resolve feedback issues in an hollowbody like an archtop.
    Use a black coloured one & you'll hardly be able to see it.
    Similar idea to covering the sound hole on an amplified acoustic.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    Put the amp behind the neck rather than behind you (and hence the guitar body) and you can get away with a lot. 

Look at Doug's Plugs for custom built F hole blockers   http://www.dougsplugs.com/ (Totally safe - it really is a thing ! ;) )

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Billy Duffy shoves an old t-shirt in his White Falcon.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14345
    tFB Trader
    In the 50's then all players only had small 10/15 watt amps so little issues regarding feedback

Setzer has learnt to control his Gretsch 6120 through his rig - He uses no overdrive pedal and just gets closer to the amp, when he wants more gain/sustain and utilises the guitar vol pot as required

Ref say a 175/350T/295 etc then none is any better - The louder the amp, the closer you are to it, then the more you need to learn to handle the 'feedback' 

I have heard of players fitting a soundpost, like a violin, to minimise the top vibrating, but never tried it myself

Bottom line is you just have to find the spot where it works and any louder and it won't
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31650
    You're better off with a laminated model like the ES175 than one of the more expensive ones. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    You could watch Ted Nugent live videos to see a masterpiece of feedback control at very high volume. His Birdland is slimline but not a semi.

Maybe consider something like an ES-235 if you want the look but with easier feedback control?

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30303
    My brother uses f hole shaped foam plugs. Don't know where he got them but they seem to work very well and they look unobtrusive.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    You might find one of the thicker bodied models with a centre block might help in that respect - I'm thinking of an ES-135/ES-137. 
    Call me Dave.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7064
    tFB Trader
    Feedback is where all the fun is
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31650
    Ted Nugent is a master of feedback control, but he also plays on much bigger stages than most of us!
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    p90fool said:
    Ted Nugent is a master of feedback control, but he also plays on much bigger stages than most of us!
    That’s very true. So first you need to become very famous Hoots and only then buy a jazz box ;)
    Feedback is where all the fun is
    Too right. I just bought a Digitech Freqout to be able to have even more feedbacky goodness without further alienating the neighbours  ;)
    Sassafras said:
    My brother uses f hole shaped butt plugs. Don't know where he got them but they seem to work very well and they look unobtrusive.
    FTFY   ;)
  • rossirossi Frets: 1705
    EDIT  Obviously don't stand too close to your amp in the first place.

Or, might sound daft, but I heard that a balloon (not hot air type...) inflated inside the guitar can resolve feedback issues in an hollowbody like an archtop.
    Use a black coloured one & you'll hardly be able to see it.
    Similar idea to covering the sound hole on an amplified acoustic.
    red ones have more tone .