"chickenbackers " any good?? +++and---- please

What's Hot
mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
as title thinking of taking a punt £230 on a ricky 360 expecting to replace pick ups tuners and put a bone nut on anybody had one ?any sellers reccomended ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14568
    In before the nuke!  :)

If you have ever played a genuine RIC, the budget wannabe is likely to disappoint.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    cheers mate
     sorry mods if this is not allowed please delete if so
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    There was a thread on the Offset Guitars forum following someone's Chickenbacker 360F order.

Not a very encouraging tale.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    I think its just pot luck ,one good one 5 bad uns etc
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72572

If you have ever played a genuine RIC, the budget wannabe is likely to disappoint.
    It's far harder to make a worthwhile Rickenbacker copy than a Fender or Gibson, or even Gretsch.

That said I had a mid-70s Shaftesbury 4001 bass before I got my real one that was quite nice.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18955
    edited October 2019
    Genuine question.
    What is the FB position on posting photo's in this discussion of examples of copy guitars such as Rickenbacker?

There would be no attempt to sell, pass off, transact, promote or advertise them, just illustrating guitars that are a copy/homage (fake is as good a term as any).

I understand that a certain Mr. Hall takes a rather dim view of such items even existing, so I have no wish to attract any grief to the forum.

Edit: Flagged to Mods. for clarification.
    ICBM said:
    mid-70s Shaftesbury 4001 bass ... was quite nice.
    Damned by faint praise. ;)

I understand that a certain Mr. Hall takes a rather dim view of such items even existing, so I have no wish to attract any grief to the forum.
    I suspect that the thing to which Mr. Hall objects is anything that loses money for his firm. 

The lawyers for the estate of James Brown do not litigate against everyone who samples his music without asking permission. They sue the people whose use of uncleared samples earn loadsamoney. 
    @Funkfingers , thanks for that, I think.
    You didn't use to be Master Po in 'Kung Fu' by any chance ?  ;)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    In before the nuke!  :)

If you have ever played a genuine RIC, the budget wannabe is likely to be better 

FTFY :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Genuine question.
    What is the FB position on posting photo's in this discussion of examples of copy guitars such as Rickenbacker?

There would be no attempt to sell, pass off, transact, promote or advertise them, just illustrating guitars that are a copy/homage (fake is as good a term as any).

Edit: Flagged to Mods. for clarification.
    think that last time this came up, we decided that it was fine to discuss them, we'd rather there weren't photos (because that turns it into a semi-promotional exercise), and the official - and strict - position on this is that they're flat-out wrong.

Also, regarding the OP, here's a massive minus - you can't legally sell them on in the UK (or anywhere with functioning copyright laws).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2019
    @digitalscream ;;; thanks for the clarification, always best to ask about these things.
    I have a Tanglewood TW61 that has been retro fitted with genuine original Hi-Gain pickups, tuners & bridge & Allparts tailpiece.
    Got it a few years back from a tribute band player, just to see what it sounded like. 
    It sounds like you might expect, in a good way.

I also have a hand made 360 copy in natural maple. Really very nice looking & good construction, right down to the 5 piece maple headstock, stereo jacks, full width triangle fret inlays, 5th knob & correct 'back to front' body carve. Toasters of unknown origin, but are fine.

Both guitars jangle like good un's through a compressor with a touch of reverb 

I have tried a few genuine Ric's and while the quality of manufacture was seriously better than the Tanglewood (not so much the maple one) the neck feel/nut width wasn't really to my liking, nor was the pricing.

Conclusion, although I can afford the 'real thing', I'm happy enough with what I have.

This does not in any way refer to the MIC copies that the OP referenced, as I have no experience with them.

Edit:  just realised I started a sentence with 'So',  now gone  p
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    Harley Benton do a Ric-esque guitar in 6 and 12-string versions; probably a better punt than a Chickenbacker.

The Chickenbacker basses are not great and are actually copies of Rockinbetters, not Rics.

Some of the vintage Japanese Ric copies are quite nice; I've got/had a few.

I'm not sure about buying a cheap faker with the intention of chucking money at it.

There's a Rickenfakers group on FB (Facebook, not Fretboard!).

I've just got the middle three of these at the moment (the outer two are Hondos, one of which I used for mocking-up a real Ric project).

As far as the law goes, it is perfectly legal to own one.
    It's when you sell that the issue arises, either infringing trademark law or counterfeiting.
    (The vintage Japanese ones, provided they don't have the R-brand's logo, pre-date the trademark registration and so don't infringe it.)

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    prowla said:
    It's when you sell that the issue arises, either infringing trademark law or counterfeiting.
    (The vintage Japanese ones, provided they don't have the R-brand's logo, pre-date the trademark registration and so don't infringe it.)

Surely it's perfectly legal to buy and sell them too, as long as they aren't being peddled as the genuine article? It's not like they're made out of ivory after all.

Most of the bad juju about fake Rics comes from the enthusiastic pursuit of sellers by John Hall of Rickenbacker in recent years
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72572
    dogload said:
    prowla said:
    Surely it's perfectly legal to buy and sell them too, as long as they aren't being peddled as the genuine article? It's not like they're made out of ivory after all.

Most of the bad juju about fake Rics comes from the enthusiastic pursuit of sellers by John Hall of Rickenbacker in recent years
    No, simply selling something that incorporates a registered trademark but is not a product of the trademark holder is illegal, no matter whether it’s disclosed or not.

I’m not even sure ones that were made before the trademark was registered are excluded either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3924
    As above, I had a Tanglewood TW and (to me) it felt not a lot different to my Rick 330. Yes of course the Rick was very well made but I wouldn't buy another Rickenbacker, I just didn't get it!
  • I've always been tempted to look at getting a bass made by Tokai that I'm sure will have me Rockin' Better.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Deadman said:
    I wouldn't buy another Rickenbacker, I just didn't get it!
    The string spacing is very "Marmite". It makes possible some moves that would be impossible on the majority of guitar neck shapes and makes some normal moves unnecessarily difficult. This is why the Tom Petty signature 660/12 had a slightly wider fingerboard and nut spacing.
    I've always been tempted to look at getting a bass made by Tokai that I'm sure will have me Rockin' Better.
    The Rockinbetters were not made by Tokai. 
    The brand was imported to the UK by a distributor called Tokai UK. 
    Many were MIC and they are the template for the Chickenbackers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

ICBM said:
    dogload said:
    prowla said:

No, simply selling something that incorporates a registered trademark but is not a product of the trademark holder is illegal, no matter whether it’s disclosed or not.

I’m not even sure ones that were made before the trademark was registered are excluded either.
    Yep - “this is a genuine fake” doesn’t get around the law.