Pickup suggestions.

What's Hot
MototechMototech Frets: 102
Hi folks, I'm about to embark on a Greeny Moore tribute build, from the Gary era & am interested to hear peoples opinions on pickups. I dont have an infinite budget, so dont be suggesting Tom Holmes, I also don't go all starry eyed when boutique names are mentioned, as I have used lower priced pickips that dound fantastic, so if anyone has real experience of cheaper pickups that will do my job, I'm all ears.

Brian 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• abw1989abw1989 Frets: 641
    edited October 2019
    The Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard came fitted with BurstBucker Pros which are an Alnico V magnet and 42 AWG. Those specs might help you find something.

EDIT - There was also a Seymour Duncan 'Greenie' set that came with the magnet flip/reverse/whatever thing already done to the neck pick up. Specs are:

Greenie Bridge
    Series – 8.617 K
    Inductance – 4.983 H
    Magnet – Alnico 2

Greenie Neck
    Series – 7.653 K
    Inductance – 4.241 H
    Magnet – Alnico 2
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you're not looking to spend a lot of money then I'd recommend Irongear. I've had a few of their hotter humbuckers and they've all been fantastic, but they do a few more vintage-flavoured things too.

I've also read good things about Entwistle pickups, although I haven't tried any yet. I'm toying with the idea of getting a set for my GJ2...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    I will be watching this thread with interest ,I was going to post vintage paf sound for £100 ,Yes i know they will not be ox4s or montys etc but for £100 what would get you in the ballpark ? Ive looked at the montys pafs and the readings are
    neck alnico v ,7.2k
    bridge alnico II ,7.7k

so if i look around them values at irongear/tonerider etc should i get a decent set ? or am i way off the mark !  =)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Iron gear are good. 
    But for not many more pennies Oil City are excellent plus you get to chat to Ash about what you need & he'll keep you right. 
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    @Mototech Brian - give Declan at @deacci ;a shout. His Greenfaze are smashing pickups (and he's local to you).

www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • Nice legs darlin what time do they open
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    Iron gear are good. 
    But for not many more pennies Oil City are excellent plus you get to chat to Ash about what you need & he'll keep you right. 
    ??? I can get a pair of irongears for £72 delivered ,oil citys are coming in at £150 ,not many more pennies is actually double the price ! I'm not knocking oil city as i've heard they are superb pick ups but my budget is £100 .
  • I love Iron Gear pickups, they aren't just "good for the price", they are just really good.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18955
    Have you tried any Vintage' brand MRPGM V100's?
    Relicing is beyond parody, but they sound bloody good with a setup.
    Plus, pickup swap's are really cost effective, if you feel the need to do it.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18955
    Have you tried any Vintage' brand MRPGM V100's?
    Relicing is beyond parody, but they sound bloody good with a setup.
    Plus, pickup swap's are really cost effective, if you feel the need to do it.
    D'oh, conflated guitar with pickup conversations.
    I clearly only occasionally do multitasking.