Fender custom shop - neck to headstock transition

What's Hot
brooombrooom Frets: 1175
I've always wondered why lots of fender custom shop don't seem to get the smooth transition/taper from neck to headstock on the back of their necks.

There's always a volute like chunk of wood in that area, that feels wrong and looks awful. I've seen a couple of masterbuilts with chunkier neck that had a nice transition. But for the most part they don't.

Fender japan/greco got this right on their 80s strats/teles. How difficult can it be?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9369
    If I could give you 5 wiz’s, I would
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    yes they both look quite bad...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brooom said:
    No they dont. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    The bottom one looks fine to me - the top one doesn't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14353
    tFB Trader
    I just sold a 62 Strat the other day - An original version and yes when you compare it to a C/Shop model there is more of a 'volute' - Subtle but still there - Why this is the case then I don't know - I have seen a few comments about it - Does it have any impact on the feel, tone and playability then I very much seriously doubt it 
    edited October 2019
    brooom said:
    No they dont. 
    To me it does. But it's ok to disagree.

I just sold a 62 Strat the other day - An original version and yes when you compare it to a C/Shop model there is more of a 'volute' - Subtle but still there - Why this is the case then I don't know - I have seen a few comments about it - Does it have any impact on the feel, tone and playability then I very much seriously doubt it 

No impact on tone of course. It's just one of the main things I dislike on strat/tele both aesthetically as well as for feel.

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2406
    The super smooth transition from headstock to neck on 50's Fenders was nicknamed the Tadeo taper after the neck shaper Tadeo Gomez.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Most of the real earlier strats I’ve seen and played have the smooth transition a couple haven’t. I kind of agree with the op that they should have it especially in the top spec stuff. They are meant to be as close as possible to the originals.

Has it, or would it, put me off buying because of that absolutely not. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7131
    edited October 2019
    back in the 50's the volutes were considered as disposable as the telecaster 'ash-trays'

people just used to take them off and leave them in the case
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2019
    Correct... it seems to elude most fenders coming out of the custom shop. Wildwood guitars currently has a masterbuilt that seems to be done properly, although I attribute it mostly to the fact that it is a pretty hefty profiled neck, therefore it has a great taper.

Early 80s japanese fenders were pretty good in recreating the tadeo taper, IMHO.

My (now gone) August 1964 strat surely had this feature. My now gone as well 63 custom unfortunately didn't, although I regret selling it, it annoyed me to the point that I almost had it reshaped.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23065
    I like it when they're all nice and rounded, but I don't like it if the neck is thicker at the nut than it is at the first fret, for the sake of a smooth transition. 

If the neck's shallow at the nut end then a "step" like that SVL makes sense, although it does look too hard-edged.

My Fenders all have pretty fat necks so the neck to headstock transitions have been done quite nicely, as far as I'm concerned.