Tuning stability - 2019 Gibson Les Paul DC Jr.

NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3404
I have a 2019 Gibson Les Paul DC Jr. I love it, but the bloody thing seems to detune it's G and B strings every 15 seconds or so.
It is the original 2019 model with the jack on the front and has the standard Gibson Deluxe tuners and a Tektoid nut, like this one...

Think there is some nut binding as I get the occasional ping. I've tried lubricating the nut slots with a pencil, but no joy.
I want to keep the guitar - what is the best fix? New tuners, get the nut slots cut properly, change the nut completely?

@Felineguitars - any advice?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 625
    Almost certainly the nut. In my experience tuners have to be really cheap before they start to affect stability.

I had the same issue on my LP and had a new bone nut installed by a luthier, which fixed the problem 90%, and keeping it lubricated with nut sauce also helps. You may be aware, but when tuning it is always best to tune up to the note, rather than down, to maximise tuning stability.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11626
    tFB Trader
    Nut and tuners sound the most likely culprits and you are on target saying some nut sauce too.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• abw1989abw1989 Frets: 641
    That's odd, I picked up on of these on Sunday and I have been impressed with the tuning stability. I tuned it once in the shop, once when I got home and it hasn't dropped out since.

Evidently still some discontinuity in Gibson's QC.... 

How old are the strings you have on it?
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    Sounds like the nut needs sorting out.

Probably worth having a pro like Feline look at it. 
  • Epsilon said:
    Almost certainly the nut. In my experience tuners have to be really cheap before they start to affect stability.

I had the same issue on my LP and had a new bone nut installed by a luthier, which fixed the problem 90%, and keeping it lubricated with nut sauce also helps. You may be aware, but when tuning it is always best to tune up to the note, rather than down, to maximise tuning stability.
    I bought a cheap Tele hybrid for not much (less than £100) and it had the worst tuning I've ever come across, literally it was out of tune by the time I finished tuning it.  It also had the worst cut, wonky plastic nut I've come across and really shonky cheap tuners as well. 

Before replacing the tuners I had a gamble and bought a £3 bone nut off ebay, which took a little sanding and installed and after I've not had the slightest issue with keeping the guitar in tune afterwards.

NelsonP said:
    I have a 2019 Gibson Les Paul DC Jr. I love it, but the bloody thing seems to detune it's G and B strings every 15 seconds or so.
    It is the original 2019 model with the jack on the front and has the standard Gibson Deluxe tuners and a Tektoid nut, like this one...

Think there is some nut binding as I get the occasional ping. I've tried lubricating the nut slots with a pencil, but no joy.
    I want to keep the guitar - what is the best fix? New tuners, get the nut slots cut properly, change the nut completely?

@Felineguitars - any advice?

IMO, take the guitar to a tech.  They'd be able to advise whether to resolve your tuning issues you'd need a new nut or something.  It could be something as simple as the slots for those 2 strings aren't as wide as they need to be. 
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    Just a quick question, did you buy it from a shop recently? If so take it back to them and have them sort it. Obviously depends on distance, convenience etc