Probably been discussed before but why is it everytime I take a break

What's Hot
adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
from playing and start again I am better than before?

is it because i've broken my stale routines? 

I probably didn't play very much for the last year whilst the first few days were very rusty I know find I can chicken pick like I couldn't before and I am constantly using my pinky finger where as before I used to be lazy and avoid it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    So true. 
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    lukedlb said:
    So true. 
    I am still no good when I try to record myself though :-( 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Recording puts pressure which can make the playing worse.
    Best way to get over it is to record more often :)

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14565
    adamm82 said:
    stale ... routine ... lazy ... avoid[ance]
    This.

adamm82 said:
    I am still no good when I try to record myself
    Record yourself frequently. Once you take the process for granted, the red light fever will be gone.

One of my most frequent mistakes when overdubbing is to have a quick play along to the existing backing music just to set a level. Almost invariably, I come up with some random, spontaneous idea in the moment that I cannot replicate. 

In short, when it's gone, it's gone. Record everything. You can always throw the weak bits away.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 170
    Perhaps you don’t even have to stop playing.
    When I have been trying to learn a piece for a while and I stop making progress, I just park it for a few weeks and play something else.
    Usually when I come back to it I am playing it much better in a very short amount of time.
    That way you also keep practicing and becoming a better all round guitarist.
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Wasn't it Phil Spector who always used the last take of the day when everyone was cheesed off and just wanted to go home? I recently played a gig having had a serious fever and practically no sleep for 72 hours.  Dosed up with half a packet of paracetamol, I went through the set pretty much on auto-pilot and a few people said to me 'you were on form tonight!'  I guess I'd just concentrated on the basics with no frills or experimental solos and it worked.  Went home and collapsed in a heap on the Saturday night and didn't properly feel better for about 10 days.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • adamm82 said:
    stale ... routine ... lazy ... avoid[ance]
    This.

adamm82 said:
    I am still no good when I try to record myself
    Record yourself frequently. Once you take the process for granted, the red light fever will be gone.

One of my most frequent mistakes when overdubbing is to have a quick play along to the existing backing music just to set a level. Almost invariably, I come up with some random, spontaneous idea in the moment that I cannot replicate. 

In short, when it's gone, it's gone. Record everything. You can always throw the weak bits away.
    Which leads to the old recording trick in the studio - 'we want a test run through the track, play as if you mean it so that we can get everything setup properly' = best take :)
  • uncledick said:
    Wasn't it Phil Spector who always used the last take of the day when everyone was cheesed off and just wanted to go home? I recently played a gig having had a serious fever and practically no sleep for 72 hours.  Dosed up with half a packet of paracetamol, I went through the set pretty much on auto-pilot and a few people said to me 'you were on form tonight!'  I guess I'd just concentrated on the basics with no frills or experimental solos and it worked.  Went home and collapsed in a heap on the Saturday night and didn't properly feel better for about 10 days.
    Probably liver damage from the paracetamol  =)