Can’t turn thumbwheels on Gretsch bridge

I’m trying to raise the action on my new Streamliner but even with strings slackened right down I can’t turn them with bare hands. Should I be adjusting height of the slot head screws in the tuneomatic bridge instead? I’m used to Teles so this is newish to me...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    In fact, am I right in thinking thumbwheels are simply part of slot head screw unit?! Screwdriver out...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72573
    Stop! If the posts are stuck you will chew up the screwdriver slots.

If the wheels are stuck it's most likely because the two sides are set at too different a height and it's binding. Slacken the strings completely, lift the bridge off by hand and turn the wheel which is lower until the bridge can go back and both wheels turn easily.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I’ve got a feeling that this is a cheap bridge with thumbwheels as “decorative” presence? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72573
    scarry67 said:
    I’ve got a feeling that this is a cheap bridge with thumbwheels as “decorative” presence? 
    You should still be able to turn the wheels by hand, although not necessarily under full string tension.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I’ll remove strings soon and examine it more closely...