Ebay Global Shipping Programme

What's Hot
John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
Sold a few guitars recently and shipped to a UK address, they were advertised as UK only auctions.  When I've checked the tracking they are apparently on the way to the US under the global shipping programme.

I understand how it works, but who makes items available under the global shipping programme?  Is it some option I have checked somewhere or does ebay do it?  Also if the guitar s damaged in international transit is this my responsibility?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5449
    edited October 2019
    It often auto-selects it when you list - you have to untick the “international” box or something, but I’m surprised it’s allowed it on guitars - anytime I’ve intentionally tried to activate it on a guitar listing it won’t let me list giving a vague explanation hinting at CITES problems. Never had any issues though on other stuff other than one annoyed buyer in France who didn’t understand it and got cross with me for it taking a few extra days since I had to ship to the GSP distribution centre first. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    You are responsible until it is received by eBay's shipping Hub. Then its their problem.

TBH, I've not sold a guitar through their GSP but I've sold other things and its worked out fine.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 625
    Yes the system works pretty well as far as my experience of it goes. For your purposes it is treated as a domestic sale as you just need to get it to eBay's GSP hub, and they sort the rest. Things might get a little trickier if the buyer isn't happy and wants to return it.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    They lost my bass, it was signed for at their hub then lost it... Guess who's paypal they froze?.......... I'll never ever use it again. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1447
    They lost my bass, it was signed for at their hub then lost it... Guess who's paypal they froze?.......... I'll never ever use it again. 
    Seriously?  Presumably you got your money back in the end though?
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Well, just checked my history and three guitars sold last week went through the GSP.  Fingers crossed
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    Have used eBays GSP since they launched it - sold many guitars and never had much of a problem. It won't let you list a guitar if you mention Rosewood etc due to CITIES. As indicated above you are responsible for sending the item to the UK warehouse / distro centre after which it is their responsibility. I had a small valve amp damaged in transit under GSP - I got a full refund and the buyer got the keep the amp as eBay took full responsibility. .. 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Dodge said:
    Seriously?  Presumably you got your money back in the end though?
    I had to speak to customer services, to get it back but no not without the cooperation of the buyer it was honestly a nightmare,  I hope its changed but the second they lost it. (I had proof via signed for and recorded delivery) they froze my PayPal. It was totslly insane. 
  • Anchorboy said:
    Have used eBays GSP since they launched it - sold many guitars and never had much of a problem. It won't let you list a guitar if you mention Rosewood etc due to CITIES. As indicated above you are responsible for sending the item to the UK warehouse / distro centre after which it is their responsibility. I had a small valve amp damaged in transit under GSP - I got a full refund and the buyer got the keep the amp as eBay took full responsibility. .. 
    If you don't mention Rosewood in the advert, do you think it would escape CITES scrutiny?
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Anchorboy said:
    If you don't mention Rosewood in the advert, do you think it would escape CITES scrutiny?
    I’ve had guitars with no CITES material that they wouldn’t do under GSP. There might have been other keywords that made them nervous (model name, maybe...) - but all you can do is try, they just won’t let you submit the listing if they aren’t happy with it. 
    tFB Trader
    Anchorboy said:
    If you write "R0sewood" or something - it'll list OK. I sent an early 90's Tele Plus to California last year with eBay GSP with no paperwork other than a confirmation of the manufacture date from Fender. It was opened by Customs who didn't hold it or question anything ... 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    tFB Trader
    @whitecat eBay limit the value to some countries under GSP to £2k - hence why a lot of guitars can't be sold

Anchorboy said:
    @whitecat eBay limit the value to some countries under GSP to £2k - hence why a lot of guitars can't be sold

Ah, that could be it...
  • Also check parcel size/weight limitations. Had to cancel a gsp sale because of it