Total beginner needing advice.

Hi all,

Ive never got into home recording but I need to get some form of recording set up as I’m spending too much money writing parts whilst in the studio.

All I need is the capability to record multiple layers of guitars. I don’t need the ability to record drums. I just need to be able to record guitars via either plugging directly in or by using a mic on my amps. 

What would you all suggest?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    You could get a focusrite solo/2i2 and a Shure SM57. That's about as simple as you can get, but will still deliver good enough , if not great, quality.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Branshen said:
    You could get a focusrite solo/2i2 and a Shure SM57. That's about as simple as you can get, but will still deliver good enough , if not great, quality.
    Thank you.

what would I plug that into?
    I assumed that you had a desktop or laptop computer to plug the equipment into. That's the normal setup! But you could also plug it into an ipad I believe.
    Branshen said:
    I assumed that you had a desktop or laptop computer to plug the equipment into. That's the normal setup! But you could also plug it into an ipad I believe.
    No I’m totally starting a new here. I haven’t bothered with a computer at home for some time.

Am I better going the IPad Route here rather than buying a laptop to do this job. To clarify this is a writing tool and not to be used for actual recording finalised versions.
    Better is subjective. It really depends on what you want to achieve. I think both would work for you as it sounds like your needs are pretty simple.

I can't comment on recording with an ipad, as I've never done it. But since it is a simpler device and more hands on, it might be easier to get into. 

How good are you with computers? Setting up a recording setup can be quite daunting and difficult as a beginner. 
    Branshen said:
    Better is subjective. It really depends on what you want to achieve. I think both would work for you as it sounds like your needs are pretty simple.

I can't comment on recording with an ipad, as I've never done it. But since it is a simpler device and more hands on, it might be easier to get into. 

How good are you with computers? Setting up a recording setup can be quite daunting and difficult as a beginner. 
    Really bad! 

It’s hard work to find a situation where I’m more technically inept than playing guitar. But as soon as I get near a PC I’ve managed it.
    edited November 2019
    I'm quite proficient at dealing with computer software and hardware and I admit that setting up an interface and DAW to record was difficult and frustrating when I first started. I do recommend you heading down to a local music shop that is willing to walk you through the process and get whatever you feel comfortable with.
  • If it's just for recording ideas couldn't you just use your phone? Some pretty nifty apps now I believe. 
  • Something like the zoom r16 would be a good option and maybe a shure sm57. Much easier than the computer route if it’s just for ideas. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    GarageBand ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Tascam Dr-40.

Wanna record something ? Hit record. Wanna Overdub another guitar ? Set to "overdub" Hit record.
    No latency.

4 track recorder. I love mine... :)
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4775
    edited November 2019
    GarageBand on an iDevice will handle the recording side of your needs. You'll need headphones to hear the tracks already recorded when you're adding a new one. If you're not too worried about quality, then the mic on the iPad will work as long as you're not too loud. An external mic with a level control so you can turn the signal down before the signal hits the AD converter inside the iPad might be better. If you want to go direct, then you'll need an audio interface, too.  

I do quite a bit of acoustic recording using the iPad mic. It's more useful than I'd expected. 

Take a look at the YouTube channel from Dan Baker if you're unsure about GarageBand on the iPad. Quite inspiring. 
    Garageband on ipad is a decent idea. Have a look at this video, where someone records some guitars on ipad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asWwOu5PpJU
  • shaunm said:
    Hi all,

Ive never got into home recording but I need to get some form of recording set up as I’m spending too much money writing parts whilst in the studio.

All I need is the capability to record multiple layers of guitars. I don’t need the ability to record drums. I just need to be able to record guitars via either plugging directly in or by using a mic on my amps. 

What would you all suggest?

Digital portastudio. You're shit with computers by your own words and frankly I don't think going with an audio interface hooked up to an iPad is that much easier. From a cost perspective, a Tascam DP-006 and a suitable memory card will save you on studio time and save you on buying an iPad etc. 

• /\
      That,probably over the Tascam Dr-40 thinking about it, but hardware all the way...
    why spend 400 quid on bending i-pads or phones to do something they weren't really designed to do but can.
    When  for significantly cheaper,you can buy something designed to do exactly what you want.?

With no faffing, no "Why isn't this working...I've set up everything correctly,but i get no sound, and then after changing
    every possible setting that's relevant find out you were right the first time,your computer just needed a reboot..."
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 345
    spark240 said:
    GarageBand ?
    Yes, absolutely.  Find yourself a cheapecondhand iMac, with SSD if possible, and a larger screen if you can.  GarageBand will already be on there.
    Plenty of people use laptops, but I have both and I find that the laptop screen isn’t quite big enough.
    You day you’re not very technically confident: well that’s another reason to go the Mac/GarageBand route - the hardware, OS and software are all made for each other, and very intuitive to learn.
    Good luck, and keep us posted.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    When it comes to the world of recording then you are dipping your toe into some very murky waters (Guitar GAS is nothing when when compared to the Recording equivalent).

A computer based system is going to be the most powerful and flexible route but it is accompanied by far the steepest learning curve.  As well as learning how to actually record, mix and export the results of your labour into something that you can share with others you have to contend with setting up and maintaining a computer system.  I sometimes think that I spend as much time updating, re-installing drivers and generally dicking about keeping things working as they should as I do making music.

If you are just trying to capture ideas then I'd go with a 'simple' portastudio.  Something like this https://www.thomann.de/gb/tascam_dp_008_ex.htm
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    I had the Tascam DP004 and found it needlessly complicated and difficult to operate due to its small size.