JXG Juniors - Oldboy Guitars

What's Hot
JXGJXG Frets: 18
edited May 2014 in Made in the UK

Hello folks, following on from the interest I've had in the Les Paul Junior style guitars I've made, I've decided to take them a step further. Say hello to Oldboy Guitars, an offshoot of JXG Guitars. For the time being Oldboy will only offer single or double cut juniors, in a limited range of colours (Sunburst, TV Yellow, TV Wheat, Black).

The spec will be -

One piece Brazilian Cedar body (lightweight)

One piece Brazilian Cedar quartersawn neck

Cocobolo or Madagascan Rosewood fingerboard depending on availability

50's style truss rod, chunky 59/55 neck profile

Celluloid Nitrate tortoise pickguard (or black if you prefer)

Kluson 3 on a plate tuners

Faber wraparound bridge, steel studs and inserts

CTS pots, Switchcraft jack, paper in oil cap

Any level of aging you want from NOS to (Johnny) Thundered

Your choice of Duncan Antiquity, Bare Knuckle, Mojo or Shed P90 (subject to availability)

These will have handmade necks and fingerboards, the bodies made by CNC from programmes drawn by myself to keep the costs down but the quality on a par with the completely handmade JXG guitars.

Price will be £1750 inc. Hiscox case

I'm taking pre orders now on the first batch of 4 - one is sold, 3 are available, timescale will be approx 12 weeks

Guitars from this first batch I'm offering for £1625, payable in three installments of £625, £500 halfway through, £500 on completion, and with free UK mainland shipping - this is a one off deal only on these three guitars in the first run, and won't be repeated!

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p533/jxgguitars/Juniors/2a2cc083-5a15-4c53-88bd-a41b0c4d7a48_zps06e22a4d.jpg

Thanks for reading, any questions have a google for JXG Guitars and get in touch through that please - the Oldboy site isn't running yet

Cheers, John

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    That's brilliant :)

Interesting you are using cedar too..

Hope it goes well for you anyway, think we all know they will be world class

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JXGJXG Frets: 18

Thanks Mark - I've been looking at sustainable alternatives to Honduras Mahogany for a few years now - I don't think the plantation grown stuff available now is that great - Brazilian Cedar is great for electrics, I've used it increasingly over the last couple of years, it's as light weight as the lightest Honduras, visually virtually identical, cuts almost as well, is at least as as stiff and stable for necks, and most importantly sounds great - very close to Honduras Mahogany but a little more open and dynamic.

Cheers, John

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    Ooh I was all excited there thinking you might be making some replica Oldboys a la Iommi!
    No plans to, but I'd be happy to make you one as a one off Moe
    JXG said:

Thanks Mark - I've been looking at sustainable alternatives to Honduras Mahogany for a few years now - I don't think the plantation grown stuff available now is that great - Brazilian Cedar is great for electrics, I've used it increasingly over the last couple of years, it's as light weight as the lightest Honduras, visually virtually identical, cuts almost as well, is at least as as stiff and stable for necks, and most importantly sounds great - very close to Honduras Mahogany but a little more open and dynamic.

Cheers, John

That's cool. I've had cedar bodies and they were beautiful sounding, and that was the soft stuff..

Right, time to find the kid's inheritance IOUs again...

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    edited May 2014
    Great idea, and a very fair price considering what I've heard about your work! :)

*edit* @JookyChap if you the cedar bodies from me, then they were Western Red Cedar which is pretty different to Brazilian. JXG is right on the money with his description of it as a Honduras alternative, I've heard very little (i.e. nothing) in the way of negatives about it being used as a substitute. :)
    Great idea, and a very fair price considering what I've heard about your work! :)

*edit* @JookyChap if you the cedar bodies from me, then they were Western Red Cedar which is pretty different to Brazilian. JXG is right on the money with his description of it as a Honduras alternative, I've heard very little (i.e. nothing) in the way of negatives about it being used as a substitute. :)
    Yeah, that was it - loved the smell ;)

• JXG;247013" said:

Cheers, John
    Amazing, your stuff has rave reviews and it's always great to hear talk of sustainability, which is something that is more important to me than getting a braz rw board.

/jealous at all wwho got one of the first batch.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    So does that mean mine is a 'Pre Oldboy' err Oldboy then ? ;-)
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    And yes, anyone reading this & thinking about it, do it, do it now.

I'm fortunate enough to have an arsenal of lovely guitars but that said they've all been getting a bit dusty since i got my JXG LP Jr DC..
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    What @DrBob said. I have a JXG SC Junior and amongst my other hi-end guitars (Gibson CS, Fender CS) it's the best, most well made, quality guitar I own.

VERY tempted to add another now...
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    Thanks for the kind words guys - both single cuts are now sold,
    TV (wheat) double cut
    Black double cut
    are still available
    Cheers, John