Strap weight eureka

What's Hot
TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
Not sure why it hadn’t occurred to me earlier that the weight of the strap adds to the weight of a guitar and therefore the benefit of a wider strap might be negated by its weight.

Some of us nit pick over ounces here and there (see R8 thread as a prime example).

It turns out that my garment leather Levy’s M7gg3 (3inches wide) strap plus strap locks is over 15ozs (nearly a pound)! Yet I’ve been using it in the false belief it’s easier on the shoulder with my 9lb R8. A chance comparison with a cheap Ernie ball polyprop strap (2inches wide, 5oz weight) and the R8 instantly felt lighter and more comfortable.

Probably irrelevant for most strats/Teles etc that are under 8lbs but for the Les Paul that 10oz difference is worth noting.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    yeah, i had one of those thick plush leather straps on my slightly-heavy strat for ages, but i've found souldiers much more comfortable.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I put up a special erection that supports my guitars.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, it's a neat trick if you can do it, but be careful balancing a weighty R8 on it, you could do yourself a terrible injury. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31648
    Sassafras said:
    I hope you get those little blue pills on prescription, otherwise it would be cheaper just to get a guitar strap. 
    p90fool said:
    Sassafras said:
    I hope you get those little blue pills on prescription, otherwise it would be cheaper just to get a guitar strap. 
    I can get mine over the counter.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7834
    Sassafras said:
    p90fool said:
    Sassafras said:
    I can get mine over the counter.
    That sounds impressive, but I bet it alarms the chemist.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 349
    Old car seatbelt webbing works a treat.  It’s really light, quite comfortable and you just flame the ends to stop them fraying, and melt holes in either end.  Works for me!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    JohnS37 said:
    Old car seatbelt webbing works a treat.  It’s really light, quite comfortable and you just flame the ends to stop them fraying, and melt holes in either end.  Works for me!
    Doesn't that work out a bit expensive if you have to buy a car every time you want a new strap?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I aim for the lightest possible guitars to alleviate the effects of my weighty strap....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom