Potential GAS advice please :)

What's Hot
KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543
Greetings folks,
In line with my recent query regarding a floor modeller, i have a fund allocated for a new guitar (smashed-into £1 filled terramundi pot, you see). Budget is less than £1000, and for reasons, Im not interested in 2nd hand - though I know I would most likely get a 'better' guitar for the money.

Now, to some specs. I spent a couple of hours in GuitarGuitarGlasgow yesterday, and tried a few things. The conclusion I reached is that I liked all I picked up, but neck profile seems to be the one thing that would persuade me for or against a guitar. Everything else can be adjusted to suit.
For instance, the Charvel Pro Mod DK had a fantastic feel to it (satin maple neck), the tones versatile and the body finish (aesthetic tastes aside) a tactile matt which appealed in it's simplicity. However the neck was too thin. Not Ibanez-wizard thin, but not especially comfortable in my hand,
The Sterling Vincent was a pleasant surprise indeed - need to pick it up again to confirm, but just felt 'right'.
Vintera Tele's - superb, but I couldnt get on with the 60's neck - again, too thin. 
50's Vintera and Baja Tele - pick of the bunch.
Epi HolyDiver - great big barrel of fun, and one of the very few Epiphone's without the D-slim-taper neck.
D'Angelico 335-a-like - nice Pelham-blue example, and very nice to play with probably the best fretwork, but too simillar tonewise to the Epi Dot I have,

Oh, I also picked up (but didnt plug in) the new PRS Sandblasted thing. I do truly like the finish, and the finish on the neck lovely too, but PRS Wide-Thin profile is about as far away from comfortable for me as it's possible to get I think!

I should add, I was playing these through a Britt Plexi (OD)/Britt BF (clean) Kemper that I have never used before so may not have had the best (for me) tone tweaks.

So there you have it, I'm not too fussed who makes the guitar, where it is made or what it is made from, but I would like single coils (Strat/Tele/P90) and a chunky neck.

Anything else I should be looking at at less than £1000?

Cheers,
Adam

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    What about the new PRS Semi with trem, great value for £799
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543
    Good shout, but looking at the GG website, it has a Wide-Thin neck (just like the Sandblasted series) and is unfortunately HB-equiped.......

I know, I'm a picky bugger!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    Something from the MM Sterling range perhaps, quite a range and covers most tastes
    Again, a good call. Certainly the St Vincent was a lovely guitar to play, but for some reason  it isn't appearing on their website.
    Of the ones I glanced at on the wall, there seemed to be a fair range of neck profiles too.

• Just buy the Baja. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Just buy the Baja. 
    I think that's what Im leaning towards - I just like to have options :) 
    I can even adjust to the Shell Pink finish!