Recording guitar

JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 348
You know that thing where you’re  noodling on the sofa while watching TV, and you come up with a good riff or song idea.  So (going back 20 years or so) I would go upstairs, set up my Fostex 4 track portastudio and start playing.  Problem was, and it happened nearly every time, that by that time I had forgotten the idea.
So I decided to make a recording guitar, with on-board recording kit.  The first one was a Vintage PRS style guitar with a minidisc Walkman built in, plus an onboard microphone hidden in the top horn.  Worked quite well, but added a bulge at the back, and was difficult to set going - you need a quick start for this game.
Then I carved up an old SG and put an MP3 player/ recorder in it.  Much more compact, but still problems with the ‘start recording’ function, and very fiddly tiny controls.  Somewhere along the way the PRS version had an Olympus digital dictating machine in it too.
Sorry I haven’t any photos, but it never reached a successful prototype anyway.
Has anyone else tried the same thing?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 348
    JohnS37 said:
    You know that thing where you’re  noodling on the sofa while watching TV, and you come up with a good riff or song idea.  So (going back 20 years or so) I would go upstairs, set up my Fostex 4 track portastudio and start playing.  Problem was, and it happened nearly every time, that by that time I had forgotten the idea.
    So I decided to make a recording guitar, with on-board recording kit.  The first one was a Vintage PRS style guitar with a minidisc Walkman built in, plus an onboard microphone hidden in the top horn.  Worked quite well, but added a bulge at the back, and was difficult to set going - you need a quick start for this game.
    Then I carved up an old SG and put an MP3 player/ recorder in it.  Much more compact, but still problems with the ‘start recording’ function, and very fiddly tiny controls.  Somewhere along the way the PRS version had an Olympus digital dictating machine in it too.
    Sorry I haven’t any photos, but it never reached a successful prototype anyway.
    Has anyone else tried the same thing?
    Sorry, this was supposed to appear in ‘Most interesting mod’ thread.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7130
    to be honest mate, nowadays I just put my camera on my phone on record 

got loads of decent little videos of me riffing away now, make me a millionaire one day !!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Ah modern day is so much easier. 

Think tc have a riff recorder pedal, though I'm the same, I'd just bust the phone out real quick.

i remember hearing an interview with James Hetfield and he was the opposite.. said he'd be in the supermarket doing the shop and he'd think up a riff and had to get his phone out and record himself going 'duh duh duuh diiih duh' or whatever lol.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...