Fender locking tuners. Will they fit?

What's Hot
skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-schaller-locking-tuners-chrome-0990818100?lgw_code=16284-0990818100&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiN627-DM5QIVxLHtCh0c6Qt1EAQYASABEgIHqvD_BwE

Looking at a set of the above for my American special telecaster. 

Are they a direct replacement does anyone know?
The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Yes, they should fit. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• I’ve fitted those to my Mex Fenders and a USA Professional without any trouble. Nice easy upgrade. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited November 2019
    Blimey I was thinking of the very same thing for my newly acquired Strat so perfectly timed post thanks. One would have to drill bigger holes to fit locking tuners though 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    Erm, the items illustrated by the Anderton's product photographs are not Schaller. They are Ping West.

If you observe the second photograph provided by Anderton's, you can just make out the P.W embossed between the locator pegs, a Roman numeral slightly further down and, possibly, the ratio 18:1 beyond the shaft. 

Furthermore, all of the Fender/Schaller locking 'heads I have ever seen have a knurled edge on the thumbwheel and no legend on the back. The Ping West item has simpler, straight cut thumbwheel edges and the reversed F logo.

Ping West is precisely the sort of hardware that one might expect to find on a Fender American Special instrument. (Unfasten one of your stock non-locking 'heads. It will almost certainly also carry the P.W marking.)

Hopefully, the photographs are an error on the part of a web page layout artist and your sixty two Pounds buys you a set of genuine German-made machineheads. In your position, I would contact Anderton's to check before ordering.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ADPADP Frets: 184
    They’re cheaper here. No affiliation other than having bought a couple of sets from them before.
  • To answer your question, they are a direct replacement for the 2 pin mount tuners found on American and Mexican Fenders, including your American Special. I have them on my American Special Strat. They are made by Ping Well, not Schaller, and I do wish Fender and their suppliers would stop promoting them as Schallers as it is somewhat disingenuous. However, they are very competent tuners. Personally I'd buy the current Ping version from John at First Guitars as they are usually the cheapest around. I wouldn't buy the current Schaller version as they now have long and medium stagger posts rather than the short and long stagger posts of the Ping's. If you can find an old set of staggered Schallers then they are good, but the current set doesn't give enough break angle over the nut. And ignore the Schaller spec's published on most websites like Thomann - they are not accurate. I sent a set of proper Schallers back to Thomann, and nine months later they still haven't updated the info on their site. You can order individual tuners directly from Schaller, but it would be very expensive to build a set that way. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    Ping West.
    Ping Well
    My mistake. West on the brain. I blame myself for starting that thread in Off Topic about Kanye. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ping West.
    Ping Well
    My mistake. West on the brain. I blame myself for starting that thread in Off Topic about Kanye. 
    Haha, Kanye West is enough to frazzle anyone's brains, especially on a Sunday morning! 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Interesting!

I'm guessing even if theyre ping well then it'll be comparable in quality to what I've currently got on it, which is fine, I just discovered locking tuners on an Ibanez which I recently got, it has gotoh's but theyre so quick for restringing!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23038
    As @Funkfingers mentioned, your current tuners will almost certainly be Ping (as) Well, so quality/performance should be identical.  Fender switched from Schaller to Ping some years ago (maybe someone knows exactly when) but they have the same footprint with the two locating pins.  Presumably it was just a cheaper alternative.

As far as I know Schaller never made locking tuners with the "F" logo, so "F" logo lockers are always Ping.  But I could be wrong.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Philly_Q said:
    As @Funkfingers mentioned, your current tuners will almost certainly be Ping (as) Well, so quality/performance should be identical.  Fender switched from Schaller to Ping some years ago (maybe someone knows exactly when) but they have the same footprint with the two locating pins.  Presumably it was just a cheaper alternative.

As far as I know Schaller never made locking tuners with the "F" logo, so "F" logo lockers are always Ping.  But I could be wrong.
    I wondered why the same thing but on Fenders website didnt mention Schaller in the title. 

Clears that up! 

Tbh, I do kinda like the F logo haha.