E Lydian / Charvel San Dimas / Vai ish / Improv vid / Sunday afternoon.

What's Hot
Love playing in the Lydian mode.  I don't know much formal theory, but I get the feel of it when i'm playing.  This one in E Lydian, very much in the melodic style of Steve Vai. My 2nd take!  

• Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod
  • Middle pickup position mainly
  • Ernie Ball Super Slinkies
  • Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm
  • Positive Grid BIAS FX 2
  • Reaper DaVinci Resolve 16

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10719
    It’s EXTREMELY Vai-ish! Most excellent playing! It’s actually Ionian not Lydian but you certainly got into a Vai groove. I reckon Vai plays in Ionian more often than Lydian despite being somewhat famous for Lydian. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Bravo, loved that. Very Vai. How did you start learning to improvise in that way? Any good resources?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers.   @TINMAN82 I think the best advice is to learn shapes and then use them all over the fretboard starting from different positions.    I learnt the major scale then worked out what shape that looks like in various places on the fretboard, then just dance between those shapes trying to paint a circular story.  I found I was quite good at tapping which compensates for my poor plucking accuracy and speed.  Also just play along to heaps of backing tracks in different keys and modes,  loads on YouTube.  I find Arabian phrygian tricky to master currently so will be working on that next I think

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This is ace
  • Thanks @hollywoodrox