Creating social media content and some Robben Ford

What's Hot
AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
edited November 2019 in Making Music
Hey guys,

I'm wanting to put together an online portfolio of my playing.   Trying to put together some vids of me playing and trying to make em look/sound as pro as possible.

Have recorded a cover of a Robben Ford tune, that's what I'm into.

I'm interested to hear from anyone that's tried to do the same and what approach you've taken.  

Here's a link to my first attempt. I don't think I'll be winning any awards for this one! Any feedback appreciated.

https://youtu.be/DeivNZvnxYM

ta
Andy

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BradBrad Frets: 659
    For a first attempt I don't think that's too shabby at all! Looks and sounds great, tasty playing too. The only thing I'd say, is that the headstock end of your guitar is not in focus so I find it a little jarring but that could just be me.

What is your camera/video set up? I toy with the idea of doing something properly like this (I always bottle it) but I've no idea where to start with that side of things. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    edited November 2019
    Good tip on the headstock! Didn't notice that.

It's pretty basic to be honest. I've got a Canon 7d that I bought 10 years ago and a tripod. But it doesn't have a video screen and doesn't have auto focus.  So I bought a remote clicker so can focus at the point of the click. That helped a bit.

I'm using a kemper for guitars and bass. Logic Pro X drummer too.
    It would be much easier to film using a phone I think.  But I wanted the blurred background lol.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    If you put on YouTube disable comments - there are real shitbags on there.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Hmmm, hadn't considered that!
    You can upload to YT it as private and then use links to/from other social media sites

Feedback
    Ok cheers for the tip. Have you had loads of bother?
    edited November 2019
    Not personally but take a look at other non-famous people's demo videos

Feedback
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    It depends on what audience you want. Create a Facebook account for your playing and join relevant groups - there are loads of guitar and blues groups you can join. Upload your videos to YouTube and post on Facebook, Instagram and anywhere you think there might be an audience. I'd have comments switched on on Facebook .. delete anything that's crap but with comments, you will effectively be in the outback of Oz with the tumbleweed.

And it's hard work. Have you got anything you can give away? Lick lessons, backing tracks etc?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Hey, 

Good work! Looks good!! As a consumer I would recommend: 

Focus the entire fretboard
    Focus the headstock too, brands are important (possibly a different camera angle)
    Remove bracelet/watch, anything that will distract
    Editing two or three different angles makes the video feel very dynamic and that is pleasant and feels professional

Regards
    Nuno
    edited November 2019
    Hey @nuno3silva ;; great advice on focusing the entire fretboard and headstock.

There's a lot of musicians I know of that are talking about people cheating with their vids. You know speeding em up, miming etc.  The reason I did the video with a single shot was to try and show I'm playing the lead guitar in a single take.  I thought if I did multiple camera angles it would give the impression it's been edited. What are peoples thoughts on this?
    edited November 2019
    @Fretwired ;; great advice! Comments enabled on FB. Disabled in YouTube. Lots of great advice in there.

Good idea about giveaways.  I've been worked on some backing tracks. Some of the backing tracks get so many hits.
    Has anybody spent anytime creating content for Instagram?
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    That's really nice playing Andy!
    Can I ask your aim of having an online video portfolio? I ask that as the reason for the video changes what it needs to be like.
    If you're trying to get solo gigs then having it full body would demonstrate that you know how to perform and own a stage.
    If you're trying to get students then have a few close-ups of your hands during technically difficult bits would show off technique.
    If you're making it for guitar nerds then you could cut to photos of the amp or the sequence in Logic etc. Or you playing the bass parts etc

Try watching a few music videos and you'll find that they change camera angle (or the framing at least) every few seconds. That keeps the whole thing feeling very dynamic, so I'd suggest setting up at least 2 cameras for each take.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    edited November 2019
    @BigMonka ;;; thanks for having a listen buddy. Very kind!

Different camera angles is definitely something I could work on.  I'd have to use my phone as the second camera tho.   Or I guess I could film everything instrument I play with a single camera and do a montage lol.