Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The ultimate articulate and versatile neck pickup?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5191
    edited November 2019
    lysander said:
    Sassafras said:
    Most Strats.
    Yeah strat neck pickups tend to be my favourite but sometime I wish they had a bit more bite.
    Putting a blend control into a Strat adds bite to the neck pickup by rolling in varying degrees of the bridge pickup.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    edited November 2019
    Dimarzio PAFPro or Air Norton. 

Seem to work brilliantly across a range of guitars and applications. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2436
    Bare Knuckle Emerald - I've got them in my LP and the neck position is clear but weighty. Love it to bits.
    Also really liked the SD '59 that used to be in my LTD Ninja - replaced the JB/59 set with a BKP Holydiver set and while the neck pickup is a great match for the amazing bridge, it's a little bright compared to what I would typically go for.
    Tim
  • I only use neck pickups. 
    I haven't used a bridge pickup for a live gig since 2014. All the EQ amp & signal processor settings are tailored for lead tones on a neck pickup only.

Single coils: Bare Knuckle 'Yardbird' (single coil Tele PU). Really sweet sound.
    Also like the Fender 4th generation noiseless as used on some American Elite models.

HBs: Rickenbacker mini-humbuckers (Ric parts 06000 & 06001) as used on 650 guitars (and 4000 series basses- yes really!) These are unlike any HB I've ever used. Articulate & not in the least muddy.

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3920
    (Proper) Firebird neck pickups are excellent and no hum too.
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    tone1 said:
    lysander said:
    Sassafras said:
    Most Strats.
    Yeah strat neck pickups tend to be my favourite but sometime I wish they had a bit more bite.
    Putting a blend control into a Strat adds bite to the neck pickup by rolling in varying degrees of the bridge pickup.....
    That's a great idea !
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1739
    edited November 2019
    I’m really enjoying playing one of my guitars which has an EMG set of pickups installed.

It has an SA in the neck position, as well as the middle (and an 89 in the bridge position which can be 'split')

I was really impressed at the versatility of this pickup when paired with the SPC and EXG controls, you have lots of control over that pickup - add more strattyness progressively at the turn of a knob if it doesn't have enough to start with, or fatten it up to give a decent humbucker impression - really great character all round.

Don't believe the negative preconceptions and received wisdom about EMGs. They are just pickups and I like them as much as any other.

...and they are totally noiseless in every position which is cool.

** I just searched and found this video just now, that I think is a nice example of an EMG set with the SPC (Mid Boost), and EXG (Expander) and has some great playing going on too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvddyp6nwH0 

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thinking about it, you probably wouldn't stick one of these in to a guitar, in isolation - for example with an existing passive pickup which you like in the bridge position - I mean you could, but it would be a bit silly :) with the extra wiring and duplication of controls and stuff.
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • ICBM said:
    Duncan '59.
    ^ For passives, very good in the neck position. For active pickups I've always found the EMG60 (or the alnico one) very good :)
  • mr_airmr_air Frets: 24
    TTBZ said:
    I love my Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queen - it’s the only neck pickup I actually like spending any time on actually.
    I really like the MQ neck as well. It can handle cleans as well as gain.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    edited November 2019
    Bridge p/u for a Strat - my faves are Lace Sensor Blue, SD Hot (or Cool) Rails, Tom Anderson single coil stacked humbucker
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3635
    Zexcoil VH works beautifully for this.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1708
    In a Tele the Texas special custom shop worked well for me .Didnt like the bridge at all .My favorite  strat neck is an A3 Maida Vale .its got that "oooh nice" factor .Probably every one else hates it .
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
    edited November 2019
    thebreeze said:
    I had a Gibson CS '56 for a while, I'm not sure if @HoraceB still owns it, but I think that was one of my favourite all-time neck pick ups, a P90.  I like Fender CS 69's too.
    Yes, that was a fantastic pick up! The guitar was not so bad either Unfortunately I'm not a Les Paul player and I tried very hard to be with that guitar, not with me now, these days back in the saddle with a Strat and currently really liking a Klein Epic 58 in my neck position.
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    After having a PRS SE Standard 24
    for about a month, I have to say I think the 85/15s pickups have to be up there : right amount of output, the neck pickup is bright and articulate, they split well and the tone and volume are very useable.
    They’re one of the best sounding and most versatile I’ve tried.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543
    To add yet another suggestion, i have a pair of BKP Abraxas in a home build. Im pretty rubbish at describing tones, but it sounds full-bodied and chimes with suitable nudging of the tone control. If i was of a mind to play around, id give them a shot in my LP in a heartbeat.

Adam
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    Two I've been enjoying a lot lately are the neck pickup on a set of Florence Voodoo T60s (telecaster), and the Suhr Thornbucker on the neck of my Suhr modern. Both really nice and articulate.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14609
    The Duncan SH-1N ‘59 is greatly improved by a metal cover and a magnet swap to A4.

Somebody already mentioned vintage-style Firebird pickups. The Oil City Winterizer and Winterizer II neck/Rhythm position humbucker delivers.

My leftfield suggestion is the Dyna-Sonic and all good replicas. The PRS S2 Type D is highly articulate.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom