maximising output/low end from bridge P90 through setup and tweaks

What's Hot
bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
My firebird has just ~0.5k difference between the neck and bridge P90s. Looking at most winders around at the mo, they wind the bridge unit ~2k hotter than the neck, presumably to make balancing the two easier. I'm dealing with ~8.2k neck and ~8.5-8.7k bridge.

I have the neck absolutely as low as it will go and the bridge almost touching the strings and they are *juuuuust about* balanced. My preference would be for the bridge to be noticeably but not significantly louder than the neck (that's how i set my other guitars), and the tone is generally lacking in "fatness" and grunt. 

Are there any tweaks I can make to get a bit more "OOMPH" from this p90? if it were a strat pickup, I'd be thinking about a baseplate, is there an analogous mod for p90s? 

fwiw, i'm not a hot-n-heavy pickup devotee at all, in fact i am pretty ambivalent about bridge pickups generally. i think good bridge pickups all sound more or less the same, especially with distortion. i have always got on fine with tele/HB/strat[with a tone control] bridge pups but i just need more from this one, if i can get it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    edited November 2019
    Presumably, your pickups currently have two Alnico 5 bar magnets each.

It is possible to widen the output difference between the two pickups by magnet swaps. 

Consider Alnico 2, Alni 3 or Alnico 4 for the neck/Rhythm position pickup. 

The bridge/Treble position pickup could be made louder with an Alnico 8 magnet or grainer with Un-Oriented Alnico 5.

Opinions vary on the wisdom of combining vintage output coils with stronger than vintage magnets.

I dare say that some of this forum’s tamed pickup makers will have something to say on this topic.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    Presumably, your pickups currently have two Alnico 5 bar magnets each.
    I think so, unless they were still using A2 in 1965? Taking the pickups apart and messing with the magnets is ok with me, as I had to mess about with them to sort out a phase issue!

I dare say that some of this forum’s tamed pickup makers will have something to say on this topic.
    Here's hoping!
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    I'm thinking changing from 50s wiring to 60s wiring might help ?

• bbill335 said:
    I'm thinking changing from 50s wiring to 60s wiring might help ?

It might, but it won’t be as versatile. I love the way 50s wiring can give you an almost acoustic tone by rolling off both pots.