Lead solder?

What's Hot
I'm making up a few cables (mic cables etc) and, in the past, I've used Multicore brand solder - which I think contains lead.

Is it still legal to buy and use such solder... or do I have to use lead-free?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482
    AFAIK it's still legal to buy and use unless you're planning on selling the finished product.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18932
    From the HSE.

Illegal supply of Lead-containing solder to the General Public

HSE have become aware that a number of retailers have been supplying solders containing lead to the general public.

A harmonised classification for lead was agreed and published in 2016 [Regulation (EU) 2016/1179] and this came into effect on the 1st March 2018.  

As a consequence, the sale of metallic lead or mixtures containing lead (at greater than or equal to 0.3%) to the general public is prohibited [Article 67 of REACH; & Restriction 30 in Annex XVII]. 

If you have some lead based solder, hand it & yourself in to your local police station & expect a lengthy sentence with hard labour.

Or, use it in a well ventilated area for small jobs & we'll say no more about it  ;)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72545
    Use high silver content (3% or greater) lead-free. It works just as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23038

Do they have the same regulations in the States? 

I bought a prewired Strat harness from 920D Custom and asked them what solder they used, because I wanted to be consistent - it turned out to be old-fashioned lead-based solder (although they probably call it sodder).

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:

Do they have the same regulations in the States? 

I bought a prewired Strat harness from 920D Custom and asked them what solder they used, because I wanted to be consistent - it turned out to be old-fashioned lead-based solder (although they probably call it sodder).

Yes it’s completely fine in the states.

certain products on the stew Mac website won’t allow you to add to cart if you’re based in the EU (because of the above mentioned regulation. 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1850
    Just use rhythm solder instead.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Over the years I’ve managed to buy several large reels of lead solder and use it for all my electronics work. I prefer old fashioned lead to the new stuff, I find it easier to work with and in my opinion makes a better joint.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Is there such a thing as gold solder, possibly sold by the higher end audiophile shops?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It appears that you can still buy solder with lead on ebay. For some applications, such as repairing vintage gear (valve radios in my experience, but I expect it applies to vintage guitar gear), modern solder does not work properly.

For making new cables anything would work.

• SeshSesh Frets: 1850
    Sassafras said:j
    Is there such a thing as gold solder, possibly sold by the higher end audiophile shops?
    Yes, I know Gold Tin solder exists, but the melting point is probably to high to be useful, being over 400C.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    It appears that you can still buy solder with lead on ebay. For some applications, such as repairing vintage gear (valve radios in my experience, but I expect it applies to vintage guitar gear), modern solder does not work properly.
    I don’t do vintage radios, but I’ve never had a problem with added-silver lead-free solder, on anything going back to 1940s guitar amps.

Non-silvered lead-free is crap though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 943
    Don't lick it!
  • Just say you use for repairing organ pipes, that got an exemption!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ICBM said:
    Thanks for this. I don't solder stuff much but I learned a long time ago that lead-free solder is shit in capital letters, and I don't have much of the good stuff left.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6145
    edited November 2019
    PhilW1 said:
    Don't lick it!
    Apparently It's fine to lick.. cos It never hurt  'The Woz'  ;) *

see: 2:50 into the video

* Nope it's not fine to lick.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6145
    ICBM said:
    Does it require a much higher melting point?
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18932
    ^ Silver solder melting point is only about 20+ degrees higher than lead types.

The issue with electronics seems to be related to the relative fragility/brittleness of non lead solder, giving higher failure rates due to dry joints & micro fractures.
    Also the lead type apparently suffers less from crystallisation/whiskering effects.
    I'd use silver unleaded if I were working with solder a lot, but leaded for occasional convenience.
    YMMV 
    PhilW1 said:
    Don't lick it!
    And more seriously, never grind leaded solder with something like a Dremel - fine airborne lead dust is extremely toxic.

• lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    I bought a couple of reels of leaded solder about 12 years ago and expect it to last my lifetime considering my usage is pretty occasional.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • As it's for leads use whatever you have to hand. Whatever the different properties of the different sorts, I expect the solder will last longer than the leads (if its guitar leads).