1984 Japanese Epiphone Sheraton

What's Hot
danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2698
edited November 2019 in Guitar
More of a curiosity query here. Any idea why the pots inside some Japanese epis are so massive? They're something around a 50p coin in diameter. 

A7-R01662-resize-32-2

Edit: what I've been able to find online has been so sparse, figured I could consolidate some info on this thread on particular features that differentiate this Wine Red 1984 Matsumoku made Epiphone Sheraton. Maybe it can be useful to someone. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Oo, get a pic online. My Japanese Riviera has been messed with so much I've no idea what's supposed to be on there or not!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2698
    edited November 2019
    Here are some photos @simonhpieman. Very difficult to photograph the pots and am not sure I could even try to swing one out of place for a better shot as they're so big. A7-R01666-resize-44 A7-R01665-resize-72

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I think they're metal covers around the pots rather than the pots themselves.  At least that's what mine look like on my 82 riviera.  I've never taken them out though.  I've not had to. 
    edited November 2019
    Adam_MD said:
    I think they're metal covers around the pots rather than the pots themselves.  At least that's what mine look like on my 82 riviera.  I've never taken them out though.  I've not had to. 
    Interesting. I've googled every keyword I could think of and can't find any images of these pots/covers. There is some solder on them, can't tell whether they are soldered do to the pots or somehow pressed on. Might have to pull one to quench the curiosity. @ICBM ever seen these? 

They've got a nice taper and the tone is good across the range. 

Someone mentioned they may be military? pots. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72547
    They won't be military pots, they're shielding cans. Gibson used them in the 1970s - I didn't remember Epiphones having them, but I can't remember when I last saw a proper Japanese Epiphone like that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah my 70s Starcaster has shielding cans. Seems a bit overkill on humbucker guitars?

The solder keeps the can sealed.
    Yeah my 70s Starcaster has shielding cans. Seems a bit overkill on humbucker guitars?
    It's to stop a completely different type of noise - electrostatic rather than magnetic - but I agree it is generally overkill.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• shugzshugz Frets: 768
    Usually only 3 pots if similar in style to the older Gibbo setup. The last cover doesn't usually fit!

H

www.proudhoney.com

edited November 2019
    Pickups:

I've not measured the pickups but the Maxon MMK75 are supposed to be PAF type humbucker, generally of the same output brdge and neck. According to a forum post I came across, they're Alnico II and supposed to measure sub 8k. Reference

Routes:

The Bridge route goes into the centre block, presumably to allow for the massive shielded pots and harness to be fed into place with less difficulty than through the F hole. Curiously there is a factory installed woodscrew to Edit: align the neck joint. 

• skikdi53skikdi53 Frets: 198
    @danishbacon, mine is like your's, nothing wrong, many semi-hollow from Matsumoku have this woodscrew.
    It’s not to strengthen the neck joint - the glue is far stronger once it’s set, you could take the screw out and it would make no difference - it’s to fix the alignment precisely during assembly.

Gibson might do well to use something similar...

• skikdi53 said:
    @danishbacon, mine is like your's, nothing wrong, many semi-hollow from Matsumoku have this woodscrew.
    Cheers, didn't suspect something wrong, rather curious as I'd not seen a neck joint like this before and being under the paint was obviously there for a reason. 

@ICBM, makes sense now once I think about it, given how the neck could wobble laterally during install and a couple of mm off would mean strings out of center on the neck? 

@ICBM, makes sense now once I think about it, given how the neck could wobble laterally during install and a couple of mm off would mean strings out of center on the neck? 
    The lateral fit is actually pretty good because it's between two vertical faces, but it should also allow precise control of the neck angle depending on how much you tighten the screw, if there is a small amount of wiggle room on the bottom - this is something Gibson have a real problem with.

• ICBM said:

The lateral fit is actually pretty good because it's between two vertical faces, but it should also allow precise control of the neck angle depending on how much you tighten the screw, if there is a small amount of wiggle room on the bottom - this is something Gibson have a real problem with.
    So, if there is a bit of gap at bottom and screw is gradually making the neck angle shallower as it is screwed in, what keeps it from getting even shallower as the glue dries? Drying position or would they stick a shim in there? 
    danishbacon said:

So, if there is a bit of gap at bottom and screw is gradually making the neck angle shallower as it is screwed in, what keeps it from getting even shallower as the glue dries? Drying position or would they stick a shim in there? 
    If it's a fairly tight fit it won't move once the screw is set where you want it.

This isn't something I've ever done by the way, I've just read that it's what it was for... and it is certainly true that all the Japanese manufacturers seem to be able to get better accuracy of the neck angle than Gibson do