Compression within Reaper.

What's Hot
I have recently recorded a track with a synthesised bass line, that I have been advised would benefit from some compression added to it, to produce a slap bass type effect.  Unfortunately, I have NO idea what adjustment to make on the included compressor within Reaper - any able to give me any pointers?
Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I think there are a couple of pre-sets, drop down box at the top, compression is a tricky thing to work out. Try a higher ratio first-to exaggerate the effect and then use attack and release, which are to some extent tempo related, you can always look for extreme settings so that you can hear the effect and then use the mix to blend back some original signal-sort of parallel, it takes time to get to grips with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    If you want to create a slap effect using compression you'd probably want to set the attack pretty slow, to allow the initial impact of each note to get through before the compression kicks in. On bass that could mean something like 100ms might be a good starting point. Set the release pretty fast and be generous with the ratio.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    Thanks guys, much appreciated.  I now have a start point  :)
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom