AuldReekie - Dave Mackay - for Edinburgh people and anyone else who knew him

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
edited November 2019 in Tributes
I have the very sad duty of telling you that Dave Mackay, known to us here as AuldReekie, passed away last week. I don't know a huge amount of the details yet, his family contacted me since there were a few messages between us on his computer - I had been due to meet up with him last Sunday for a drink and our usual guitar chat but I hadn't been feeling well so I had called off. He hadn't replied, but I wasn't overly worried since he would often not do so for a few days.

He was a good friend, a valued customer, an excellent musician, and an all-round decent person.

RIP

I'll update some more when I know the arrangements for the funeral.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    RIP Dave...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Eric_CEric_C Frets: 52
    edited November 2019
    That's so sad....I'd a few message's with him regarding Blade Guitars and our mutual interest in them. RIP AuldReekie
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Sorry to hear that John. 
  • That’s awful news - we exchanged messages a while ago - he was a big Blue Nile fan. Thank you for letting us know @ICBM - my condolences for your loss and to his family and friends.
  • Very sad indeed, sorry to hear that :(
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14234
    tFB Trader
    Sad news - My condolences to friends and family
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    Very sad. Condolences!
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4258
    Bad news. RIP Dave!
  • Very sad to hear.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Last met about a year ago. Tried a bunch of his amazing guitars at his flat in Edinburgh and he was a good player and nice guy. You wouldn't think this would happen - he seemed very healthy. Thanks for letting us know and sorry to hear the news.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sorry to hear it mate :/ 
  • I didn’t know him other than through here, but he was generous with his thoughts when I was in seek mode and seemed a nice friendly guy. My condolences to his family, and friends of course John.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lovely bloke for an Inverness Caley supporter. We spoke quite a bit over the past few weeks about Growing up in Inverness, the football club and of course Guitars. 

RIP Dave :(
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    Nice guy and generous with his time and gear 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    edited November 2019
    Dave's funeral will be at Warriston Crematorium, Edinburgh on Friday 22nd November, 2pm.

I've now heard via a mutual friend that the cause of death was meningitis and pneumonia. It's shocking how quickly something like that can kill even today, without medical treatment - he probably had no idea how ill he was and sadly, since he lived alone there would have been no-one to call for help. If you think you or anyone close to you have any symptoms, please seek medical help immediately.

Update - the funeral was enormously well-attended. I didn't try to count, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were 200 people there, so many that we couldn't all get into the chapel or even the hallway outside. Most of these were friends, colleagues and people he'd helped over the years in his work as a careers advisor, including working with people with disabilities. If the measure of a life is how many people think well enough of you to come to say goodbye, he lived his well.

RIP Dave.

:(

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom