EMG Toggle switch issue

What's Hot
Hi Guys,

I'm new here so sorry if this is in the wrong area. Hoping to get some advice if possible. I'm currently installing the solderless EMG 81 and 60 into a flying v. I have also bought the EMG toggle switch as it's also solderless and therefore I thought it might be easier (that'll teach me). I have connected all of the cables to the BUSS but only get sound from one pickup. In the middle position the same pickup makes noise but the other doesnt and then in the other position I get no response at all. I have tried reversing the Toggle switch cables as advised by EMG but that then just makes the original pickup that did work silent and the other one now respond. I believe I may be an issue with the particular toggle switch position. Has anyone else bought one of these and had a similar issue?

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72610
    It's likely the toggle switch has a bent spring leaf so the switch is not closing on one side - if you look at the switch carefully you should be able to see this.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14572
    I have tried reversing the Toggle switch cables as advised by EMG but that then just makes the original pickup that did work silent and the other one now respond. I believe I may be an issue with the particular toggle switch position.
    If this observation is correct, both sprung leaf contact pairs are working correctly.

If you have the four-way block correctly connected to the toggle switch PCB, the problem must be at the Buss Board.

Which block connector(s) have you tried reversing? 

Where on the Buss Board have you attached the guitar’s bridge ground wire? If you have followed EMG’s recommendation not to ground the bridge, have you insulated the exposed strands at the end of the wire?

Photographs of your control wiring would aid remote diagnosis.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I have tried reversing the Toggle switch cables as advised by EMG but that then just makes the original pickup that did work silent and the other one now respond. I believe I may be an issue with the particular toggle switch position.
    If this observation is correct, both sprung leaf contact pairs are working correctly.

If you have the four-way block correctly connected to the toggle switch PCB, the problem must be at the Buss Board.

Which block connector(s) have you tried reversing? 

Where on the Buss Board have you attached the guitar’s bridge ground wire? If you have followed EMG’s recommendation not to ground the bridge, have you insulated the exposed strands at the end of the wire?

Photographs of your control wiring would aid remote diagnosis.
    Well I assumed the issue was the PCB as well, however, you get one with each pickup so I have two here and neither work. I find it hard to believe its the exact same issue on both PCBs. I reversed the block connectors for the pickups themselves as this is recommended by EMG if you install them the wrong way round for example. the ground wire also goes in on the PCB from the switch and this is all housed from the factory so there would be no need to insulate the exposed strands. Really confused as to why it isnt working but I think it must just be the specific position on the toggle switch is faulty some how. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72610
    I have tried reversing the Toggle switch cables as advised by EMG but that then just makes the original pickup that did work silent and the other one now respond. I believe I may be an issue with the particular toggle switch position.
    If you reverse the connections to the toggle switch and the opposite pickup is now silent, then one of the contacts is not working correctly.

The switch should look something like this. In this one, the contact points are the black dots between the spring leaves about 1/4 of the way from the left of the picture. Check that both points are closed when the switch is in the middle position.

Other types of this sort of switch might look different, but they all work in basically the same way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14572
    I can not comment any further without seeing the actual wiring as it currently stands.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.