Sod it. Over-sanded acoustic saddle

What's Hot
So I did it in stages to lower action on my Yamaha LJ16 but last bit of sanding took it just under the bridge! It didn’t sound any different even though the high E string was not touching the saddle but simply angling just over bridge and on to the nut! I’ve put in tiny plastic card shim under treble end now but the action is limited to 2 mm by bridge height. Is it worth getting replacement saddle? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3073
    Replacing the saddle will fix the sanding mistake and saddle will at least fit the bottom of the slot better, if you can live with a 2mm action, job done....if not then further work will be required in other areas!...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    If necessary you can reduce the height of the bridge as well. You’ll often find this done on older Yamaha FGs - they often suffer from neck angle issues and overly high action.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    edited November 2019
    ICBM said:
    If necessary you can reduce the height of the bridge as well. You’ll often find this done on older Yamaha FGs - they often suffer from neck angle issues and overly high action.
    Yep, this especially common with newer Yamaha acoustics too, something about too shallow a neck angle as standard. I've shaved the bridge on several FG series guitars.
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    Presumably replacement saddles come “high” awaiting being sanded/filed to individual action? The ones I’ve seen on eBay look quite a bit bigger than mine was. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    scarry67 said:
    Presumably replacement saddles come “high” awaiting being sanded/filed to individual action? The ones I’ve seen on eBay look quite a bit bigger than mine was. 
    Yes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• This is why saddles are sold in packs of two.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    Moral of story: amateur luthier work best avoided on Friday evening whilst enjoying lager.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14578
    If the guitar were ever to be fitted with an under-saddle piezo transducer strip, you would want the underside face of the saddle to make full and equal contact along its entire length. 

I concur with those who would reduce the overall action by shaving the wooden portion of the bridge. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.