Ibanez Soundtank - accessing / removing circuit board

Have a few of these that are in need of either tweeking - DL5  and TS5 - that has flakey input jack - that probably needs a touch of soldering iron ,,  but I cant get the boards out ... any advice appreciated .

btw I cant get the control knobs either atm 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72598
    It's a while since I worked on one, but I seem to remember that all you have to do is get the knobs off, and the whole PCB comes out. Getting the knobs off is difficult - if you can't pull hard enough to get them to shift you need to get the tip of a small screwdriver under them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    It's a while since I worked on one, but I seem to remember that all you have to do is get the knobs off, and the whole PCB comes out. Getting the knobs off is difficult - if you can't pull hard enough to get them to shift you need to get the tip of a small screwdriver under them.
    many thanks - delicate approach noted ..
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited November 2019
    ICBM said:
    worked a treat thanks - the knobs extend a fair way into the pedal chassis - but once they were off , simple enough  to get board out .. 

input socket n power supply joints now solid 

will do 808 mods - n see how its compares to my ts9 if indeed there's any real discernible difference ...  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72598
    JMP220478 said:

will do 808 mods - n see how its compares to my ts9 if indeed there's any real discernible difference ...  
    If I remember rightly it’s identical to the TS-9.

Save yourself the bother of the 808 mods, unless you’re really curious - I fitted an old TS-9 with a switch to select the 808 values and it made no detectable difference at all.

While it may be true that some 808s sound different to some 9s, it’s down to component tolerance variations, and you can usually find differences even with the same models.

Some 9s did use a different chip, and they really do sound different, but any 9 or 808 circuit with a 4558 should sound essentially the same.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    JMP220478 said:

If I remember rightly it’s identical to the TS-9.

Save yourself the bother of the 808 mods, unless you’re really curious - I fitted an old TS-9 with a switch to select the 808 values and it made no detectable difference at all.

While it may be true that some 808s sound different to some 9s, it’s down to component tolerance variations, and you can usually find differences even with the same models.

Some 9s did use a different chip, and they really do sound different, but any 9 or 808 circuit with a 4558 should sound essentially the same.
    it was essentially out of curiosity - I've found Brian Wampler Indy guitarist pdf's recently n Im amusing myself just trying some of the mods on low cost platforms - though tbh the TS 5 does sound more than acceptable .  I will be ab'ing it with my TS9 on a true bypass looper just to see how how close they really are .  perhaps the Brent Mason mod may have a more appreciable difference ..