Gibson ES-235 - Opinions?

What's Hot
AmigoAmigo Frets: 120
edited November 2019 in Guitar
Has anyone tried/played/owned an ES-235 at all? I am drawn towards semi-hollows due to their more mellow sound, and I have no shop nearby to try one out. Maybe someone tried one? It seems to be the lowest priced semi-hollow in Gibson's range, what I was wondering is what gives?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    No experience with them but was looking into them a short while ago. I think it's just a few small things lacking to bring the cost down. No case, no neck binding, simple dot inlays and Gibson script on the headstock.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72550
    The thing that’s an instant deal-breaker for me is that the neck join is in the wrong place - at the 16th fret. This is the same as a Les Paul, but on a larger-bodied semi it should be at the 14th. They did that on the 135 as well and the result is that the guitar is too long and ungainly and the neck is too far to the left when playing. Although the 235 looks smaller, it’s still not right.

Maybe if you’re tall and/or you find Firebirds and SGs easy to play it won’t be a problem...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    I like the look and idea of these, and that the neck joint is in the right place(!), so won’t feel cramped like most Gibson’s. Not sure any or many have made it to the U.K. yet.

Burtsbuckers though, seem like the wrong choice,  and every time I look at that splayed headstock I just have bad dreams of pinging G strings that won’t stay in tune.

• dindude said:
    I like the look and idea of these, and that the neck joint is in the right place(!), so won’t feel cramped like most Gibson’s. Not sure any or many have made it to the U.K. yet.

Burtsbuckers though, seem like the wrong choice,  and every time I look at that splayed headstock I just have bad dreams of pinging G strings that won’t stay in tune.

I can’t help but feel they really should have been p90s, I wonder if they’ll do a ‘limited run’ with them at some point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AmigoAmigo Frets: 120
    Very interesting points. I have an Epiphone SG Special that seems OK to me, although it may be the neck shape that suits me, rather than the length. And I do not have long arms at all. Go figure!

I did a bit more research online and there are quite a number of those complaining about fit and finish, which does not bear an impact on the sound, but may suggest that some corners are cut, who knows? Being the cheapest semi-hollow in Gibson's range means something's got to give.