ITV's Made In Britain, Atkin Guitars.

What's Hot
SargeSarge Frets: 2429

Comments

• just did from your link (eventually... no thanks to ITV!) 

Interesting stuff. Strange claim about the tonal change following freezing the applied nitro though. I'm not sure what to make of that.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    I don't build guitars and know little of acoustic builds, but I was suprised at the cost of these Atkin guitars after watching that.
    I'd not previously heard of Atkin so googled them after watching it, I'd estimated a price of around £500 after seeing the use of cnc and laser cutting etc. 
    Cnc cut necks, machine cut fret slots... The chap didn't even use a mask when spraying nitro! 

Am I wrong thinking these are a wee bit overpriced? 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5447
    edited November 2019
    Sarge said:
    I don't build guitars and know little of acoustic builds, but I was suprised at the cost of these Atkin guitars after watching that.
    I'd not previously heard of Atkin so googled them after watching it, I'd estimated a price of around £500 after seeing the use of cnc and laser cutting etc. 
    Cnc cut necks, machine cut fret slots... The chap didn't even use a mask when spraying nitro! 

So let’s see - 350 guitars a year, a staff of seven. A £500 a guitar would be £416 before VAT, and thus probably-maybe around £300 dealer cost for those that go out to dealers. That’s £105k gross, a little more if you assume some direct sales and want to be generous, but if we’re stingy on that and presume most go to dealers then there it is. 

So from that £105k you need to deduct materials cost, factory rent, business rates, IT, PR, all the usual overheads it takes to run a manufacturing business. Alistair can pay himself £10k a year as a director and take the rest of his income as dividends on profit, but there isn’t any at the number you are suggesting - let’s say the other six are on minimum wage - that’s a little over £15k per year for full time - which is £90k altogether - leaving less than £15k for all the aforementioned stuff total because there will also be payroll costs and pension stuff and all that additional expense on top of what amounts to a pathetic wage for skilled luthiery. 

The moral of the story is that the price of something is usually unrelated to how much it costs to make. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7063
    tFB Trader
    Sarge said:
    The chap didn't even use a mask when spraying nitro! 

If there is a big enough air flow you don't need one, all the overspray and fumes are carried away into the booth.

Yes you are. These are great guitars and more than a match for the US brands who also use CNC to reduce costs of course.

Alister is a great guy with first class customer service.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Just watched this. Thanks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    Sarge said:

Yes you are wrong in over-simplifying the whole matter. By applying your logic very few guitars, acoustic or electric, would justify a price tag of more than a few hundred pounds.

@Whitecat has succinctly explained the many costs that arise in guitar manufacture. In reality many costs are higher than the examples given - ask any of the full time guitar makers on this forum. The cost of Atkin guitars has to be looked at in the context of the other well known acoustic guitar makes (and Atkin is a well known make) most of which are made by very similar methods. The higher range Martin's are similar cost. Makes like Collings, Bourgeoise, Goodall, etc are considerably more expensive. Alister Atkin is a very skilled luthier who knows how to make world class guitars. Play some. I personally find them more playable and nicer sounding than most comparable Martin's and they hold up well against the expensive American boutique brands mentioned previously.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sarge said:

To be fair Sarge, I think you must be on glue...  =)

The Atkins 43 I own remains of the best guitars I ever heard or played. I was shocked when I stumbled on them - literally none of the Gibsons in the shop (which I went to purchase) came close.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 763
    Finally got there after watching ITV ads for ever.......

I don’t know what I expected, but this was a little Janet & John “This is how we make Acoustic Guitars children”....... ;)

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • Thanks for sharing this. I've liked every Atkin I've ever played and would have happily bought an Atkin OM instead of the Brook Taw I preferred. I've been to the Brook workshop after buying the Taw ( you can't call it a factory, honestly ) and it's a very different place. No CNC, some 'steam punk' machinery and 100% hand built. But both places make great guitars and deserve to sell every one. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Whitecat said:
    Sarge said:

So let’s see - 350 guitars a year, a staff of seven. A £500 a guitar would be £416 before VAT, and thus probably-maybe around £300 dealer cost for those that go out to dealers. That’s £105k gross, a little more if you assume some direct sales and want to be generous, but if we’re stingy on that and presume most go to dealers then there it is. 

So from that £105k you need to deduct materials cost, factory rent, business rates, IT, PR, all the usual overheads it takes to run a manufacturing business. Alistair can pay himself £10k a year as a director and take the rest of his income as dividends on profit, but there isn’t any at the number you are suggesting - let’s say the other six are on minimum wage - that’s a little over £15k per year for full time - which is £90k altogether - leaving less than £15k for all the aforementioned stuff total because there will also be payroll costs and pension stuff and all that additional expense on top of what amounts to a pathetic wage for skilled luthiery. 

The moral of the story is that the price of something is usually unrelated to how much it costs to make. 
    Similar can be said of anything 'handmade', whether it be cakes, guitar pedals, furniture, pottery, etc, etc.

The flipside of Whitecat's calculation is in the question: What's the minimum selling price of the product to justify the business costs, including legislation, depreciation, R&D and return on risk?

I think these four things ALWAYS get overlooked when tFB starts talking price vs value. You can't run a business making a loss. And you can't run a business in isolation of all the issues that affect it.

• SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    Thanks for your insight chaps, it seems I have underestimated the value of these somewhat, but this is why I asked the question as I'm always willing to learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72563
    The only Atkin I’ve seen personally had very poorly-finished fret ends - bad enough to snag your hand on - and a slightly wrong neck angle, but all companies make mistakes occasionally. I was surprised they let it out, though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    ICBM said:
    The only Atkin I’ve seen personally had very poorly-finished fret ends - bad enough to snag your hand on - and a slightly wrong neck angle, but all companies make mistakes occasionally. I was surprised they let it out, though.
    When was that @ICBM?

It's true that all companies make mistakes occasionally: A Santa Cruz OM I bought unseen had exactly that issue, as did a neck made by a respected builder on this forum.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72563
    Jimbro66 said:

When was that @ICBM?

It's true that all companies make mistakes occasionally: A Santa Cruz OM I bought unseen had exactly that issue, as did a neck made by a respected builder on this forum.
    Within the last year, but I don’t know if the guitar was made recently.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Sarge said:
    Thanks for your insight chaps, it seems I have underestimated the value of these somewhat, but this is why I asked the question as I'm always willing to learn. 
    Good answer mate - like it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom