Had a day in a proper studio..

I was given an ace birthday present - a day in a studio with a producer, and I went on Friday.

Spent a day in 2FlyStudios with Alan Smyth - he's produced loads of people, notably Arctic Monkeys, Pulp, Reverend & The Makers, Richard Hawley. There's a Sheffield theme here....ha.

I had a flipping fantastic time, and Alan is a great chap, loads of good stories. More importantly I learned so much and, well, just loved it.

the kit! Oh boy. had a very good blast, loud as hell, on a nice old Fender Twin, and a Black Cat 30 (my god that was loud).

this was the result of a day's work - I did the playing, he did the mix and production. I'd intended to do a vocal, but didn't have time. I will be back, I think I've found a new money sinkhole!

For anyone thinking about doing this, do it. It is so much more than doing your own stuff at home. I was a bit intimidated before hand, it's been over 30 years since I've been in a studio proper, but Alan was so easy to work with and I shouldn't have sweated about anything at all.

Here's the track

thanks for listening

J

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Track sounds awesome, look forward to hearing the vocals. How much was the day and how long did you get? I haven't been in a proper studio for years...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Tight playing, did you play all instruments?
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264

Thanks both

@Branshen yes, I did all the playing. Its quite a simple track  - 2 guitar tracks, a bass, piano and strings. The drums are Addictive Drums 2.

I'd recorded it all beforehand, so went with the audio and midi ready for him to load up. I was ready to faff with the midi, but we didn't touch any of it.

It was great just to learn more about using EQ, comp and reverb. The main technique I took away was isolating rogue frequencies and how removing them makes such a huge difference to the mix, amazing really.

Cost - a weekday in 2Fly is £150, weekend day is £175. You get 8 hours. Can't praise it enough, I really loved it, still buzzing abit tbh. Alan is great to work with, he really knows his stuff. And the actual kit oh boy, a proper Aladdin's Cave!!

• Sounds like a great birthday present! 

Tune sounds cool.
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    Awesome tune man!
    @AndyJP thanks!
  • This is proper stuff - cant put my finger on what it reminds me of. Killing Joke maybe. Its bang on though. 
  • Sounds good, well done mate. Glad it was an enjoyable experience.

I might try it again at some point but when I did it before it kind of killed off my little bit of confidence as I couldn't get my points across as to what I wanted and felt I was just told what to do when though it sounded awful. Good to know that's not necessarily every studio though, although I will concede that is a personality defect I will have regardless of where I go I guess
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Good work
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1263
    edited November 2019
    That's a great price and you got a lot done in the day - producer sounds like a top person to work with.
    Sounds great and I like the song- someone else has mentioned maybe a bit of a 'Killing Joke' vibe and hope you don't mind if I agree. But there is more to it than that. Look forward to hearing the vocals.

edited November 2019

Thanks all, very kind comments. Thing is now, I am really happy with the track and I am worried I will cock it up with a duff vocal!! But, I will have a do, and post and will take it on the chin if the verdict is instrumental!!

I'll take the KJ comparison, I like em. Did a cover of Millennium a while ago, burst my larynx near enough singing it, ha.