Lefty Acoustic to Right handed Conversion

What's Hot
XbaxxxXbaxxx Frets: 41
edited November 2019 in Acoustics
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8724
    Moved to Acoustics.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5387
    a) Learn to play left-handed
    b) Learn to play upside down
    c) Learn/pay someone to swap the nut, bridge and scratchplate around
    d) Flog it and buy a righty :)
  • XbaxxxXbaxxx Frets: 41
    Snags said:
    a) Learn to play left-handed
    b) Learn to play upside down
    c) Learn/pay someone to swap the nut, bridge and scratchplate around
    d) Flog it and buy a righty :)
    I will pay for it, trying to see if anyone can fill and rout the bridge without having to remove it, nut swap is simple, scratchplate is fine like that
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72445
    d. Sell it to someone who actually needs a left-handed guitar - there are few enough good ones as it is. Then buy a right-handed guitar.

You cannot properly convert a left-handed steel-string acoustic to right-handed (or vice versa) because not only is the pickguard on the opposite side and the bridge saddle angle and intonation the other way round, the bracing on the inside is asymetrical as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GTCGTC Frets: 266
    Speaking as a lefty, I've done several conversions right-to-left. As long as their is no pickguard or inconveniently mounted electronics to worry about, it is usually just a matter of changing the nut, putting in fretboard side dots on the correct side, changing the bridge saddle angle and installing a new left-handed compensated saddle.

Contrary to popular belief, for most guitars asymmetric bracing systems do not affect the tone or structure of the guitar if the strings are changed round. It is easy to try it before any changes to be sure.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11933
    try to sell to a lefty player first, then buy a righty, probably cheaper than converting
    try to sell to a lefty player first, then buy a righty, probably cheaper than converting
    That would be my opinion too . As there is a pickguard it will never look right played upside down.
  • XbaxxxXbaxxx Frets: 41
    thank you for your comments, it's a quiet rare 90's Taylor 615, nicely played in, if I didn't like it as much I would not bother, obsessions, obsessions.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I assume there is no body cutaway. A quick and dirty conversion if you really love the guitar, you can put up with an upside down pickguard and there are no electronics in the way is to:
    1) change the strings round to right-handed
    2) use a capo to get rid of the nut issue
    3) if you want fretboard side dot markers, use something like the Jocomo removable stick on type (about £5)
    4) Put up with the intonation issues from having the saddle angle going the wrong way in the bridge - the impact isn't that pronounced unless you've got a sensitive ear for pitch - and can be improved slightly with a new left-handed compensated saddle (about £10)

If you still love the guitar after playing it a while like this then it may be worth getting a more permanent conversion. If not - it can easily go back to being left-handed for you to sell it on if you wish.

You can also be sure that the tone is not affected by changing the strings round - which I think is unlikely to be an issue.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Xbaxxx said:
    thank you for your comments, it's a quiet rare 90's Taylor 615, nicely played in
    Even more reason not to mess it up.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Sell it and get a proper righty. Loads of decent right handed acoustics kicking around from Taylor, Martin, and loads of others.

Bye!

I've done a little research. This is indeed quite a rare and valuable guitar. You could probably get at least £1,500 for it as a lefty. A full conversion could really devalue it so proceed with care. 
  • Agreed. It's not worth trying to do a conversion on this guitar. You are better off keeping it for what it is or selling it. Then buying a righty. I've done a few conversions on cheap guitars. They are a pain. In most cases, it's not worth it unless you just want a project on your hands. 
    Conversions can work extremely well on the right guitars - I've done quite a few being a GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) - afflicted lefty - mostly on mid-range guitars. Done properly, the only outward sign of a conversion should be the original  fretboard side marker dots on the "other" side.

This guitar isn't the perfect candidate for conversion (e.g. the pickguard) - but if you really want to have a go then try my reversible quick and dirty approach mentioned above and see how you get on first.

If you are subsequently  convinced you want to go the whole hog,  It helps if you've got a friendly neighbourhood luthier who charges realistic prices for the work rather than some of the exorbitant quotes I've seen for run-of-the-mill stuff. I would strongly recommend against trying full conversion work on a guitar like this yourself.

Really, just do not do this.

A right-to-left conversion can be acceptable due to the rarity of left-handed guitars, but doing the reverse to a left-handed guitar - especially something as good and rare as this - is just stupid. Decent left-handed guitars are hard enough to find for left-handed players without ruining one unnecessarily.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Really, just do not do this.

A right-to-left conversion can be acceptable due to the rarity of left-handed guitars, but doing the reverse to a left-handed guitar - especially something as good and rare as this - is just stupid. Decent left-handed guitars are hard enough to find for left-handed players without ruining one unnecessarily.
    I absolutely agree with @ICBM ; here.

I do major mods on all types of guitars. I also make high quality acoustics. I would NEVER do a mod like this to an acoustic.

While you can take major liberties with solid basses and guitars, acoustics are built left handed or righthanded.  Modding it would destroy the sound. Modding it would destroy the value. 

While you can take major liberties with solid basses and guitars, acoustics are built left handed or righthanded.  Modding it would destroy the sound. Modding it would destroy the value. 

I certainly wouldn't advocate trying to convert this guitar unless there was a compelling reason for doing so - e.g. a sentimental attachment.

A proper conversion would cost money, the guitar would look odd (pickguard) and the value would be impacted.

However, it is unlikely that there would be any impact on tone or playability with the end result if done properly (I speak from practical experience and the advice of several notable luthiers) and this can be tested before any work is carried out.