Guitar wiring - what wire to buy?

What's Hot
So ... I’m about to rewrite my new Jem. 

I realized I’ve never had to buy wire, I’ve always reused or repurposed something. 

I guess I just need single core shielded? I could use unshielded single core for anything thats just ground. 

I also guess I only need shielded for signal->pickup selector, then to jack lead (?)

Any recommendations? What I’ve found so far looks massively over priced. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    You only need shielded for the volume pot to the jack, at most - even there, a twisted pair is adequate.

The best source of guitar wire I’ve found is to get an old Scart cable - common, free, and contains more wire than you’ll probably ever need.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11638
    tFB Trader
    Chris - are you still in New York?
    Do they still have Radio Shack or Fry's Electrical?

To be fair 2 feet of cloth covered push back wire would be more than adequate

Or  as ICBM said use a spare bit of Scart cable or the free HiFi cables that used to come with every item of Hi Fi just to get you started

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Perfect!

Thanks both. I’ll have a snoop down the local charity shop for a scarf cable ... (they have a box of crap cables). 

Failing that I’ll buy something as per Feline’s recommendation. 
  • Tone Wire.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone Wire.
    I might just cut one of these down if I can't find a scart cable: https://www.thecableco.com/chordmusic-aes-ebu-digital-cable.html
  • @thermionic genuine LOL
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4949
    I like the vintage-style cloth weave covered stuff, but it's a right pain to work with!

(Goes off to check on old SCART cables...)
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4949
    @thermionic genuine LOL
    What a load of pretentious pseudo-scientific waffle!

"The lessons we’ve learned over the past few years have been both glorious and somewhat sobering. Glorious because the Tuned ARAY and the Super ARAY conductor designs can transform the sound from turntables, CD players and streaming devices into music that sounds real, believable and emotionally involving. Sobering because the Tuned ARAY and Super ARAY conductor designs explicitly show just how much more conventional cables designs can blunt the potential performance of pretty much any audio system."

That said, I do have a £300 interconnect cable from my CD player to my amp...

• prowla said:
    @thermionic genuine LOL
    What a load of pretentious pseudo-scientific waffle!

"The lessons we’ve learned over the past few years have been both glorious and somewhat sobering. Glorious because the Tuned ARAY and the Super ARAY conductor designs can transform the sound from turntables, CD players and streaming devices into music that sounds real, believable and emotionally involving. Sobering because the Tuned ARAY and Super ARAY conductor designs explicitly show just how much more conventional cables designs can blunt the potential performance of pretty much any audio system."

That said, I do have a £300 interconnect cable from my CD player to my amp...

Just in case you missed it, the interconnect linked to above is a "digital" cable :D