Offset Tremolo Set Up Tips - Jazzmaster Mustang Jaguar Jag-Stang

What's Hot

Comments

• Useful video and tips, there is an "adjustable" mustang bridge, i think Allparts UK do it with height adjustable saddles, or you can file the bottom off the middle saddles to fine tune the saddle radius. The height adjustable worked ok in my Jazzmaster build but more grub screws to work loose, I eventually shelled out for the Mastery Bridge. This cured any intonation issues with the trem but I think the non-rocking design does change the tone a bit to a purists ear. They do not need a fixed bridge if set up correctly, as your vid shows very well on how to center the bridge.

Nicely explainedl how the Trem's do give a lot of the brightness to the Jazzmaster and similar offsets, as if 1 Meg pots were not bright enough! I think they are 1 Meg, but it was a few years ago I built my white one, its about to get a face lift in the new year as have a Guitar Build swamp ash body and new slab board neck under construction with the old hardware.

I have massive colour indicision as has to be a custom "surf" colour, but they all look nice!

Whats the story on the Mustang and Jazzmaster in the video's by the way? They look a nice modern take on the originals.
    Thanks for posting.

Cheers, John

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I build these. That's the Duoton Jagstang II and the Duoton Lo-Diver.

• johnP_90johnP_90 Frets: 41
    edited November 2019
    Very nice modern take on the offsets, without the issues that got them a bad name back in the day. I like the modern swoosh rout on the headstock, they are not easy to get looking right, I did a flat top version of the Starcaster with one piece maple neck and fully chambered swamp ash that ended up my main squeeze box.
    And a Jazzmaster I built a few years ago but want to do a pre-CBS one next.

This has the Allparts adjustable Mustang bridge in the pic, later changed to a mastery. I have since gone off the look of the large headstock shape and want to do another one soon with original smaller headstock shape.

Got to have some "Surf" guitars man,

Cheers, John (Apologies for thread jacking)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Exactly, a modern offset without the issues that make you feel stupid when you give your guitar to someone who's not aware of them. Great looking guitars, I like the MOP inlays on the JM.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3275
    edited November 2019
    I build these. That's the Duoton Jagstang II and the Duoton Lo-Diver.

These look great. That lo diver in natural you have on reverb looks stunning too, particularly like the German carve. Very cool!
  • the green or red ones are the same underneath the paint.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the green or red ones are the same underneath the paint.
    They all look wicked and the spec is particularly interesting. I’d be very interested to try these someday -do you ever show these at any of the UK guitar shows?
  • I'd need to get a UK visa first to be able to come there.