Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

They've still got it - Black Crowes reunion!

What's Hot
mrkbmrkb Frets: 6809
I was expecting a car crash reunion, but after seeing this performance Im so tempted to fly to the states to see a gig. 
This brought a tear back to my eye.. that slide part is haunting.  Anyone else hoping they do a few UK dates?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSvElfxDnsQ
Karma......
Ebay mark7777_1
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'll see them if they come here but I find it a bit weird that they've "reformed" without any of the others. They're probably my favourite modern era band so I'll let them off.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Eee, one of the seminal bands of my youth. They were my most-watched live band at one point, they were awesome live. Maybe they will be again!

That video is a fail though: no Persian rug.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6809
    I'll see them if they come here but I find it a bit weird that they've "reformed" without any of the others. They're probably my favourite modern era band so I'll let them off.
    Im disappointed that the original members aren't there, but as a few of them were in Magpie Salute with Rich I could see that it would seem that Chris was joining back in with that group rather than them both have a fresh start. It was mainly Rich and Chris that were the frontmen I connected with anyway - though Marc Ford is superb, Ive seen him play with the Crowes, Ben Harper and Magpie Salute.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24273
    I saw the proper line up at Donington in 91 (AC/DC headlining)

I had only heard their cover of Hard To Handle at the time and they were very good.... right up until they waved a USA flag around and the piss shower was epic!
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    Nice to see that they have mellowed and made up with age. Maybe the death of Neal Casal was a catalyst for Chris. Many a great sweaty gig watching the Crowes. Would love to have seen Marc Ford or Audley Freed back in there too. Ah well, can't have it all.....fingers crossed for some UK dates. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    Really enjoyed that video.  @Markblagdon thanks for putting it up for us.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111
    edited November 2019
    Just heard of this myself (thanks  @mudslide73). I'm a massive fan of their raw undisciplined style of rock music as I grew up listening to the Stones, The Faces and Humble Pie and they are the natural progression of those great bands.
    Thanks so much for posting up the video.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I love The Black Crowes, I've seen them a few times and would definitely see them again.

• Great band, saw them at the Forum in 2013 with Jackie Greene on 2nd guitar thinking that was "it".  Shame Steve Gorman isn't there or Audley Freed for that matter.  Will definitely go if they come to Europe though...
  • Had tickets to see them in '91 but a friend died in a car accident and we never went. Still got those tickets somewhere and would definitely go if they came over
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    edited November 2019
    Black Crowes back together is excellent news, I too will be busting a gut to get any UK tickets should they venture over here.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • A fave of mine, saw them live a few times, with Marc Ford then later with Audrey and the “final” tour with a very nervous looking
    Jackie Green. 

I’ll be looking for UK dates as well for sure for the new line-up. 
  • Ive got a real soft spot for The Black Crowes, saw them at Donington 1991 as well, that was an excellent clip
  • Jealous Again from that same Howard Stern session. 

https://youtu.be/vvSMAi6e0_s
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 226
    I'm really pleased Chris and Rich have reconciled. A bonus of UK dates will be very welcome!
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    edited November 2019
    Not sure why it would be a car crash as they all still tour and record in their various bands/projects (unless you mean just the 2 brothers getting on long enough to do the tour!) - I love the Magpie Salute stuff tho - would be great to see the Crowes back in action together. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6809
    Vaiai said:
    Not sure why it would be a car crash as they all still tour and record in their various bands/projects (unless you mean just the 2 brothers getting on long enough to do the tour!) - I love the Magpie Salute stuff tho - would be great to see the Crowes back in action together. 

I'd heard rumours that the 'issues' between the brothers meant that other band members ended up taking sides so atmosphere was toxc, so by removing any previous members they have left old baggage behind (except their own issues). I hope they can stay together during the US tour and do some dates around the globe including the UK. Looks like they are playing 10,000 seat arenas in USA which seems optimistic, I saw them at the Northampton Roadmender in 98 which holds about 800 people!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • I saw them at the Aston Villa Leisure Centre and a few years later I played there ( okay, as part of a tattoo festival rather than as headliners) so I have trodden the same boards as The Black Crowes. 
    I watched the first clip and it seemed to be missing a bit of spark but it's not my usual listening fare these days so that could be me. 
    Although yes I'd probably go see them on tour as they were a great live band. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111
    edited November 2019
    Check out a load more videos of their concert at the Bowery Ballroom on the 11th of this month here.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Still trying to process this one.... 

I loved the Crowes but I'm not really sure how I feel about this. It seems like more of a new thing than a "reunion", particularly given the absence of any of the ex-members who are still available. I guess @mrkb could be right in that not having anybody from the brothers' solo groups might be a political compromise. Who knows, they might make it through the tour without splitting up!

The thing that shocked me was getting Tim Lefebvre in on bass! That guy's a bloody monster. Saw him with Wayne Krantz in an almost empty club and he absolutely killed it. A wonderful player who seems to move from hardcore jazz to rock without any trouble and plays everything brilliantly.

Particularly because of Lefebvre, I'd be far more interested in this if they were recording new material. I'm also not too thrilled at yet another band doing a "classic album in full" tour. I'd sooner hear more stuff from the subsequent albums. They seem to be playing decent sized arenas so fair play to them I suppose. I definitely hear the sound of a money maker being enthusiastically shaken!