Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

£1k for Fender Pickups?

What's Hot
WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
in Guitar tFB Trader
www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    Someone paid about £300 for the Yarras in my mexican classic player 60s strat about 12 years ago.  People think this woman was made of magic as opposed to being someone who just worked there for a long time. Absolutely ridiculous. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Nothing would surprise me on there but most likely the seller has sold to someone off eBay and has bumped up the price so they can let the listing run to the end without having to end it early and arouse the suspicion of the eBay police.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18753
    Does it give the quantities of pixie dust & unicorn horn, that Abigail had sprinkled in between the windings??
    The ratio makes all the difference.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    It’s a try on.

Abigail Ybarra retired a couple of years ago. Thus, there will be no more new pickups machine wound under her guiding hand. On the other hand, the AY pickups are nothing like as scarce as the seller would have us believe.

Perhaps, the seller researched for guide prices at M.O.S. of Köln? ;)

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I wonder if somewhere in America Sandy Snodgrass, who sat next to Abigail Ybarra in the pickup-winding shop, is tossing back another straight tequila and saying to herself "why the fuck are MY pickups not on EBay for a thousand pounds? I made them just the same way as that stupid bitch. Whadda people think- that she handwound them with pubic hair from angels???" [throws glass against the wall]
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I bet she never existed.... it was just the name given to the machine.. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    skunkwerx said:
    I bet she never existed.... it was just the name given to the machine.. 

They’ve renamed it.

’Ancho Poblano’
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Snake oil .They must be very easy to forge .
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    The hilarious thing is now how they suddenly and miraculously found a successor to Abi who was working there the whole time... Josefina Campos
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Nothing would surprise me on there but most likely the seller has sold to someone off eBay and has bumped up the price so they can let the listing run to the end without having to end it early and arouse the suspicion of the eBay police.
    Thanks for the tip! Lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • roberty said:
    Nothing would surprise me on there but most likely the seller has sold to someone off eBay and has bumped up the price so they can let the listing run to the end without having to end it early and arouse the suspicion of the eBay police.
    Thanks for the tip! Lol
    Yeah apparently that’s what some people do. So I hear, honest guv...  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4921
    The seller's other stuff doesn't seem to be daft prices.
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    I sold a set of abby’s from my cs strata few years back. I put them on an auction expecting maybe £200 at the most. They sold for £650 to some guy in Austria. 
    They were wound in 2010. I was chatting to Tim Mills (BKP) about them. He said that she stopped winding pickups herself back in the mid 90’s!
    i sold them as I thought they were a little harsh. The Mojo 60’s pups in there now are fantastic.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    markr76 said:
    I sold a set of abby’s from my cs strata few years back. I put them on an auction expecting maybe £200 at the most. They sold for £650 to some guy in Austria. 
    They were wound in 2010. I was chatting to Tim Mills (BKP) about them. He said that she stopped winding pickups herself back in the mid 90’s!
    i sold them as I thought they were a little harsh. The Mojo 60’s pups in there now are fantastic.
    Of the two people you mention there, I know whose pickups I'd rather have even if they were the same price.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14243
    tFB Trader
    Granted there is a premium to be made on the price of 'Abby' built and signed p/ups but £999 is stupid
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2198
    ebay 'asking prices' are pretty meaningless though 
  • Fishboy7 said:
    ebay 'asking prices' are pretty meaningless though 
    Until some sucker actually pays it that is!
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1412
    edited November 2019
    People will pay what they can afford and want to pay. I wouldn't pay a grand for a set of pickups but I'm not sure that someone who does want to (and can afford to do so without sacrificing anything important) is a "sucker" for doing so. It's not as if Abigail Ybarra is making any more and you can buy a set for £200 from your local guitar shop. If you want a set of her pickups badly enough you don't have an awful lot of choice.

Other than alerting people about potential fakes or fraud I don't get this "eBay pricing police" thing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    Should see some of the prices that early PRS pickups are going for.  Original Treble and Bass sometimes fetch stupid money.  It's not as if they even sounded that good.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• HeelHeel Frets: 271
    These pickups are amazing. As soon as you put them in your guitar, you get a record deal and go on top of the pops and stuff. Bargain. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom