Strat pickguard/routing problem

What's Hot
I bought a new pickguard for a Squier Strat I‘m doing up. The original was 8-hole but the replacement is 11-hole. Most of the holes line up, and I thought that the one nearest the lowest tone control did... but the hole on the pickguard is above empty space:

https://i.imgur.com/j9qHSLf.jpg

So, I need to effectively make the route smaller so the last screw has something to screw into. Bearing in mind that I have no real woodworking tools and very little skills, any ideas how I could solve this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've done a couple of these by just shaping a small piece of wood and then gluing in place. Then drill a small pilot hole, so as not to split it with the screw.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gary_mac said:
    I've done a couple of these by just shaping a small piece of wood and then gluing in place. Then drill a small pilot hole, so as not to split it with the screw.
    This.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72610
    You can use a bit of epoxy putty or something similar if you feel your woodworking skills aren’t up to it. It doesn’t really matter what it is as long as it’s just strong enough to take a screw without splitting - and with this kind of thing, if you’re careful you can actually put the screw in before it hardens, so you don’t need to drill a hole - just make sure you put some wax or soap on the screw, so it doesn’t stick to the putty.

I know that sounds like a bodge, but it will work fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    edited November 2019

I think I'll pop in to B&Q and look for some dowelling with a radius similar to that of the end of the body route. Then all I'll need to do is cut off a section of the right length, and possibly cut it into a semi-cylinder shape so that it doesn't foul the lower pot.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14572
    ICBM said:
    You can use a bit of epoxy putty or something similar if you feel your woodworking skills aren’t up to it. It doesn’t really matter what it is as long as it’s just strong enough to take a screw without splitting - and with this kind of thing, if you’re careful you can actually put the screw in before it hardens, so you don’t need to drill a hole - just make sure you put some wax or soap on the screw, so it doesn’t stick to the putty.

I know that sounds like a bodge, but it will work fine.
    https://i.imgur.com/BPJGwJo.jpg?1
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72610
    Not one I did :). I don’t actually use it myself, I glue in a bit of wood.

But I have seen it often enough that I know it works perfectly well. I have also found plasticine, chewing gum and other substances probably best left unidentified...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• So, I popped into B&Q on the way home from work and bought this:

https://i.imgur.com/Ovs6GyN.jpg

30 seconds with a hacksaw, and it’s a perfect fit:

https://i.imgur.com/eCLZMrt.jpg

A very elegant solution, I think you’ll agree!