So... I got the chisels out for a neck humbucker...

What's Hot
Opened up the old beast as I fancied a change and popped in a very nice 0X4 PAF. I also have a Mojo goldfoil that I will try out too..

Only problem is that positions 1 and 2 sound the same - they both sound like the middle position with both pups in parallel. The HB only has the one braided wire and the wiring is set up as standard 3-way tele wiring and was working perfectly before I change the neck pup over.

Would this be anything to do with the polarity of the pickups being different? The bridge pup is a Mojo and I had to reverse the old fender twisted Tele previously (white to ground and black to switch) to prevent the out of phase issue because the neck and bridge had different polarities...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14572
    Remote diagnosis would be aided by photographs of your wiring.

It is possible that the braid of the humbucker cable is coming into physical contact with the terminals of the selector switch and shorting something. 

If the humbucker vastly overpowers the single coil, the neck and both selections will sound very similar. i.e. Like the humbucker. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Remote diagnosis would be aided by photographs of your wiring.

It is possible that the braid of the humbucker cable is coming into physical contact with the terminals of the selector switch and shorting something. 

If the humbucker vastly overpowers the single coil, the neck and both selections will sound very similar. i.e. Like the humbucker. 
    Sorry no pics as I am at work but the wiring was working fine and it is wired as a standard 3-way Tele config, so I am confident that this is okay as I only swapped the neck pup out - all other wiring remained as it was.

I did have shorting issues until I taped the braided wire that was coming into contact with switch. The PAF is only 7.15 so probably about the same as the bridge...

I will try to fit the mojo min-hum on Friday to see if that works - same 2 wires (earth and live ) as the twisted tele single coil 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14572
    lovestrat74 said:
    The PAF is only 7.15 so probably about the same as the bridge.
    Probably schmobably. [Sits back and awaits the lecture from one of the forum's friendly neighbourhood pickup makers about the unhelpfulness of relying on DCR statistics.]
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom