Please suggest a tool to hold this bolt

What's Hot
Which tool do I need to hold this bolt in place while I tighten the screw? It’s holding the power valve and I believe it is the source of a rattle when playing an A. Pliers didn’t work. 
If you have an amazon link, I’ll order it immediately. 
I don’t want to move the circuit board unless I really have to. The bolt is only just beneath it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/K0VuM1Z

https://imgur.com/gallery/lRuzk0I
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    edited November 2019
    A tube spanner or a pair of flat-nose pliers.

Be prepared for the bolt to snap - they often do, coming loose is usually a sign that the thread has stretched.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I'm gonna say "longer pliers?" 

Or a socket set with a fairly (slim) bendy snake attachment?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    ICBM said:
    A tube spanner or a pair of flat-nose pliers.

Be prepared for the bolt to snap - they often do, coming loose is usually a sign that the thread has stretched.
    Yes, I did wonder how it came away from the chassis seeing as it was marked with the old nail polish. What is that red stuff they put on every bolt? Fingers crossed it won't.
    And fingers crossed this is the final source of the rattle in my amp.
    Next time I open the amp, I have mini tube spanners on a driver that might work if it isn't too far under the circuit board. Failing that, a mate says he has a solution. But then he is a plumber, so who knows.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    a socket with a universal joint
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    phil_b said:
    a socket with a universal joint
    Sir, that is exactly what I need.
    I wonder what size, though.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    The 'red stuff' put on bolts is very likely to be Loctite.  It locks nuts to bolts, preventing the disassembly resulting from vibration.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Rocker said:
    The 'red stuff' put on bolts is very likely to be Loctite.  It locks nuts to bolts, preventing the disassembly resulting from vibration.
    ah-ha! Not in this case it didn't. Should I get some? I wouldn't want the bolt to unthread again.
  • Phil_CPhil_C Frets: 254
    lukedlb said:
    Rocker said:
    ah-ha! Not in this case it didn't. Should I get some? I wouldn't want the bolt to unthread again.
    Can never go wrong with thread-loc

There are varying strength though. Some just to prevent loosening from vibration and some ultimately near-enough permanent ones which requires some serious torque to loosen.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    It’s not Loctite, it’s just something quite like nail varnish which they painted onto the bolts and solder joints to show they had been checked and reveal any unauthorised out-of-warranty work.

I’m not sure why you can’t reach that bolt with either a tube spanner or pliers, I never have trouble with them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Phil_C said:
    lukedlb said:
    Rocker said:
    Can never go wrong with thread-loc

There are varying strength though. Some just to prevent loosening from vibration and some ultimately near-enough permanent ones which requires some serious torque to loosen.
    just to prevent loosening. any recommendations?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=threadlock&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
    ICBM said:
    It’s not Loctite, it’s just something quite like nail varnish which they painted onto the bolts and solder joints to show they had been checked and reveal any unauthorised out-of-warranty work.

I’m not sure why you can’t reach that bolt with either a tube spanner or pliers, I never have trouble with them.
    Poor pliers. A tube spanner, even just the separate head from a kit would do; however, all mine are way too big. In the end, I just need the tube spanner head so I can block it with my fingers. As long as it isn't too tall, I can get it under the circuit board and hold it there.
    Yes, I remember seeing the red varnish in other marshalls to show where it's been checked. I did wonder if it had a sealing purpose too.
    Those proboscis looking pliers did the trick. All nuts and bolts tightened. 
    Did it help solve the rattle? Did it xxxx!