Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's your best genuinely enjoyable headphone listening amplification/processing solution?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    You don't need a pair of cans with a similar frequency to a guitar cab.
    Well... not unless it’s one of those old-fashioned amps with no speaker emulation on the headphone output. I’ve never been able to quite work out why they were ever made like that, but most were until about the 1990s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitar rig on the laptop. Great for what it is.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • Buy 10 pairs of sound isolating headphones, hand a pair to anyone who complains. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • The best I've heard is an old Zoom 707 ii mfx.  Pocket Pod is handy too.
  • Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    edited November 2019
    Boss ME70 + Headphones
    Used it for years like this when family in da house.
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    edited November 2019
    I use a Helix Stomp and am really pleased with the sounds I get (and, as a bonus, it also works very well as an effects unit in front of my Champ clone when I want to play through an amp). Previously had a Pocket Pod which I found awful. The amp modelling has come a long way but I found IRs made a big, perhaps even decisive, difference for me. I never bought an IR pack and never fiddled around with them much but right at the time I bought my Stomp a few reflection-free IRs were made available over at TGP and I now have a selection of 2 or 3 that cover everything I need. 

Edited to add: if anyone wants the Pocket Pod I'll let it go for the cost of postage.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @NPP I'll take that offer :)
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    @NPP I'll take that offer :)
    ok, pm me your details and I'll look up the shipping costs. I don't have the power supply anymore but it works with any standard 9v thingy. 

• GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Two Notes Torpedo Studio (via fx rack and TC SK48 interface) into ATH-M50x.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 604
    I have been having good results with a POD 2.0 I picked up second hand. Works well especially as I generally go for cleans or just gentle crunch.

Working away from home right now for the forseeable I have a Fender Champion 40 and it's not that bad through headphones. Acceptable enough as a compromise.

In the past I had a Line 6 UX2 and the Line 6 software and I thought it was a pretty good solution especially when I had little space.
  • I've been on holiday for a week and brought my beater strat and a Pocket Pod with me - though it's not great, I was expecting Korg Pandora or 90s Zoom box quality, but was pleasantly surprised (next time I'll definitely bring Helix Stomp instead for the audio interface facility as well as better sound). The downside is that I've now rediscovered chorus, and have spent my practise sessions turning into a sort of shit, slow Allan Holdsworth. 
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    I have had a surprisingly good experience with S-Gear 2 (the amp plug-in). Very nice especially for headphones and affordable.

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1286
    edited November 2019
    Rocker said:
    I genuinely don’t understand why anyone would want to use headphones when playing guitar. 
    A sleeping two year old that you don't want to wake up when you fancy a jam at midnight? 

Kemper was by far the best I've tried for high gain tones, but it sucked for cleans and mid gain crunch. Got this tiny HK black spirit amp few weeks ago though and must say it works great with headphones. Not sure if headphone output uses same technology as the red box on the back of the amp but the tones I'm getting are trully excellent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Rocker said:
    I genuinely don’t understand why anyone would want to use headphones when playing guitar. 
    As well as the aforementioned ocassional requirement for silent practice, I also find it the most accurate way to assess fx settings.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........