Worth the bother?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Samgb said:
    The American way of pronouncing solder as 'sodder' is intensely annoying. See also 'aluminum'
    Absolutely agree - 'sodder' drives me nuts! I've been in the aluminium business for 15 years and I've just found out that 'aluminum' is actually the original name! Devastating!!!
    At least they say aluminum the same way they spell it.

The other one makes me want to violently shove the soddering thing up their arse, which is possibly appropriate. They can't spell or pronounce arse either, for that matter.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    ICBM said:
    Samgb said:
    The American way of pronouncing solder as 'sodder' is intensely annoying. See also 'aluminum'
    Absolutely agree - 'sodder' drives me nuts! I've been in the aluminium business for 15 years and I've just found out that 'aluminum' is actually the original name! Devastating!!!

The other one makes me want to violently shove the soddering thing up their arse, which is possibly appropriate. They can't spell or pronounce arse either, for that matter.
    Its like the whole nation has a speech impediment. An annoying one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Samgb said:

Its like the whole nation has a speech impediment. An annoying one.

Ok, ive got my top hat black and silver volume/tone nobs to replace the plasticky things they put on there, nice little pearloid truss rod cover. Cosmetic tarting up almost complete.

Just ordered a set of Tonerider Rebel 90s...now we get down to business...exciting times.

My wife thinks its hilarious that im doing such a 'man thing' as attempting some minor electronics and repair. She says that my cataclysmically shit DIY pedigree only increases the amusement value for her. She is less amused that in the last 5 months ive gone from having one nice acoustic in a case, put away neatly, to having 2 new electrics and this old SG rescued from my parents' house and on the road to redemption. Something about not enough room as it is?...

• Samgb said:
    "The confusion over the aluminum/aluminium spelling arose because of some indecisiveness on the part of Humphrey Davy (its discoverer). When he first isolated the element in 1808, he called it ALUMIUM. For some reason he thought better of that and changed it to ALUMINUM four years later. Americans dutifully adopted the new term, but many British users disliked aluminum, pointing out that it disrupted the -ium pattern established by sodium, calcium and strontium, so they added a vowel and a syllable"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Bridge pickup has arrived. I repeat. Arrived.
    Tonight, we melt shit.
    Change of plan in that the seller has let me down over the neck pup. So we'll have a different mix - Rebel 90 in the bridge Seymour Duncan Phat Cat in the neck. Hope the balance is OK.

Success!

Did my bit of soldering. Bit spaced out after inhaling solder fumes - my dad's solder holder which id borrowed actually started to melt half way through dispersing fumes throughout my shed - not good!

Anyways, the P90s are pretty awesome sounding in there. Quite different sounding. The ToneRider Rebel 90 is crystal clear, woody, quite Tele-ish in the bridge. The Phat Cat in the neck is an absolute beast, on the verge of breakup but still with a lot of string definition. It really punches through. Together in the middle position im getting a much more delicate almost out of phase sound which is quite Greeny sounding. I need to mess with the balance because the Phat Cat is definitely a touch hotter but its a really versatile set up with 3 genuinely different, useful sounds.

Job done. Results excellent.

Now ive never been happy with the pickups on that strat....   

Yes I'm pretty sure that middle position has the two out of phase. It must be to do with the magnets on the two different brands of pickup? Maybe someone with more experience could confirm that? I double checked and it's all wired up right( single wire and ground so not complicated)Anyway, it's a sound I have always been a big fan of and I never would have got it otherwise so I'm happy with it. SG + P90= RAWK.