How do I cut down a pot shaft?

What's Hot
I'm trying to replace the pot in an old ZB volume pedal. The replacement fits but the shaft is too long and needs about half an inch taking off it. My hacksaw has barely scratched it. Is there another way to cut through the shaft?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• A better hacksaw?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2427
    That makes sense. I know nothing about hacksaws and blades, though, are there particular types I should look out for?
  • Dremel, surely? It'll make a much neater cut. Then just file the edges down.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8763
    What type of hacksaw are you using? When I did this (I was at school so it must have been 50 years ago) I used a junior hacksaw because it was easier to control. Fresh blade is essential. Then I filed off the burr with and finished with emery paper. Either glue the emery to a block of wood, or lay it on the bench and move the shaft end across it.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    If you are using a hacksaw I hope you are clamping it by the shaft and not the pot body, I’ve seen it done and it’s a great way to screw up a pot 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Stuckfast said:
    That makes sense. I know nothing about hacksaws and blades, though, are there particular types I should look out for?
    I have no particular recommendation, but any decent hacksaw blade should make short work of a pot shaft. Clamp the shaft (not the pot body) and get stuck in.

R.
    Thanks, I'll head to a hardware store tomorrow and get some new blades.
  • Not a bad idea to rap it in masking tape to stop any bits getting into the pot.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Done it! New hacksaw did the trick, was made of tough stuff though.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543
    I had this problem when i went through a DIY pedal phase (still got the bug, just havent built anything for a while). Id bought lots of pots, and had several different shaft lengths. After using  hacksaw (Ok) and a dremel (Ok, but frustrating), I settled on a more rough n ready solution - disc sander. Careful not to heat the pot too much, and good dust extraction, but it was quick and effective...

Adam
  • There was someone on here that used to use bolt cutters.  :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    There was someone on here that used to use bolt cutters.  :)
    On the ones with plastic shafts I have been known to use a pair of hefty wire cutters :). Why not? It works perfectly in a tenth of the time of hacksawing them, and you just file the top flat if you want it to look neat, which is no more effort than taking the rough edges off from a saw cut.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    There was someone on here that used to use bolt cutters.  :)
    On the ones with plastic shafts I have been known to use a pair of hefty wire cutters :). Why not? It works perfectly in a tenth of the time of hacksawing them, and you just file the top flat if you want it to look neat, which is no more effort than taking the rough edges off from a saw cut.

I do exactly that with the plastic ones too.  Works a treat.