2 names from the past - EFR Guitars + London Rock Shop

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
in Guitar tFB Trader
Just been offered 2 guitars for sale and it turns out they were purchased a while ago from 2 London Dealers

So who remembers EFR Guitars - Owned/run by Max Kay - Mainly vintage guitars - Rumours said EFR stood for 'extremely f*cking rare' - Not sure if true or a myth

Then the London Rock Shop from Chalk Farm Road - I recall huge ads in the music mags of the day yet when I eventually visited the store I was amazed how small it was and how little stock it held - But they certainly new how to hype it up, especially the likes of Fostex and recording gear of the day
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    London Rock Shop - yup, I remember the ads. Never visited them though...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    The huge advertisements in the weekly music press were the equivalent of a present day Internet retailer listing stuff as available to pre-order. 

In the mid Seventies, there would be prices for Fenders in ALL SIX colours and either fingerboard wood. Upon visiting the physical shop, you could probably count the Stratocasters available for immediate purchase on the fingers of one hand … and their stock of basses on your thumbs.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • The huge advertisements in the weekly music press were the equivalent of a present day Internet retailer listing stuff as available to pre-order. 

In the mid Seventies, there would be prices for Fenders in ALL SIX colours and either fingerboard wood. Upon visiting the physical shop, you could probably count the Stratocasters available for immediate purchase on the fingers of one hand … and their stock of basses on your thumbs.

So true right up to the advent of the internet, the magazines would be full of “the largest retailer of” adverts from shops who published the manufacturers trade price list hoping you wouldn’t visit but telephone.

The best shop to see stuff and hang around in was the Soundhouse in Soho Square until it burnt down 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • I met Max at the 1990 winter NAMM when I went with Arthur Bird from Guitar Player. He was quite a character!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22794
    I remember going to the London Rock Shop, inspired by those ads of theirs, and when I saw what it actually looked like I turned round and went home.  Didn't even go in. 

EFR doesn't ring any bells at all.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    A few comments above about the huge ads, from the press in the 70's and 80's, that were not backed up by 'stock instore' 

I'm sure EFR Guitars was on Denmark Street - I suppose an early version of Vintage and Rare, that occupied the same street a while later
  •  
    The best shop to see stuff and hang around in was the Soundhouse in Soho Square until it burnt down 
    Is that what happened?  I used to go there, bought a couple of things from them.  Always wondered where it went.
    tFB Trader

Is that what happened?  I used to go there, bought a couple of things from them.  Always wondered where it went.
    I think you mean the Fender Sound House on Tottenham Court Road that burnt down in the 70's (can't recall the date) - many stories in the trade about this

Soho Soundhouse (tied in with Turnkey) came later and was owned and run by John Arbiter - Started at Soho Square then moved at a later date to Charring Cross Rd - He was the son of Ivor Arbiter - Ivor was the man we know via Dallas Arbiter, then CBS Arbiter, who distributed Fender, amongst other major brands, before the days of Fender running their own UK/EU distribution centre
  • I was thinking of the Soho Soundhouse in Soho Square.  And yes they were the Fender distributor and so carried a good stock.  Like Denmark St shops at that time (late 80's) they were always on for deals, haggling, price beating and paying cash. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader

It ended up as part of Turnkey on Charing Cross Road.
    Spent a couple of weeks working there, when the shop where my workshop was based in closed down.
    All the staff were on commission only salaries, so may have been overly motivated to sell you stuff, and weren't interested if you didn't look like you were likely to buy. They certainly weren't interested in any after sales service or troubleshooting as that was seen as wasted time. The guys there were nice guys but it was a bit of a dog eat dog environment as not particularly friendly for the customers.

It actually taught me a LOT about exactly how I DIDN"T want my own business to be.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes whenever you asked for a discount or to match someone else's price the reply was always "are you buying today?".  Then you'd get some attention.
    tFB Trader

I was thinking of the Soho Soundhouse in Soho Square.  And yes they were the Fender distributor and so carried a good stock.  

Slightly distorted - Soho Soundhouse was owned by John Arbiter - Son

CBS Fender were the distributors for Fender and was owned by Ivor Arbiter - Dad

The Soho Sq  building for Soho Soundhouse was  part of the CBS record industries office

So yes a very convenient tie in that suited all concerned
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18746
    Any relation to Dickie Arbiter?
    Just wondering if the Queen has a stash of vintage Fenders  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In the late 70s we were regulars at EFR Guitars. Max Kay used to trade from his house in Walthamstow I think, offering sensibly priced old guitars via ads in the Melody Maker. Extremely F'ing Rare they weren't just affordable to us at the time.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389

It ended up as part of Turnkey on Charing Cross Road.
    Spent a couple of weeks working there, when the shop where my workshop was based in closed down.
    All the staff were on commission only salaries, so may have been overly motivated to sell you stuff, and weren't interested if you didn't look like you were likely to buy. They certainly weren't interested in any after sales service or troubleshooting as that was seen as wasted time. The guys there were nice guys but it was a bit of a dog eat dog environment as not particularly friendly for the customers.

It actually taught me a LOT about exactly how I DIDN"T want my own business to be.
    Explains a lot - they carried a lot of sexy tech stuff, but it was an unpleasant shop - the short chap with glasses, very pale, and persecuted look in his eyes was about the only helpful assistant (and a nice guy) - wasn't you was it ? ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Ah, The London Rock Shop.

Passed it many, many times. Went in a couple of times, underwhelmed by both the stock and the staff.
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    edited November 2019
    I remember the Rock Stop shop on Charing Cross Road just round the corner from Denmark Street. It only closed a couple of years ago. Tiny shop, not much in there.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • I remember the Rock Stop shop on Charing Cross Road just round the corner from Denmark Street. It only closed a couple of years ago. Tiny shop, not much in there.
    Had the worst costumer service imaginable. I used to look in there once in a while to see if there was anything of interest used. 

The pricing was ‘interesting’ - at one time they had a selection of Way Huge pedals at around £200 each when the street price (including just round the corner at Westside) was around £90-120 depending on which pedal. 
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    I used to manage one of the shops that ran full back page ads in the 70's, JSG in Bingley (later became Spectre Sound).  Everything we advertised was in stock, usually we had more than one of each colour too.  The only time you might miss out was if we had a secondhand item that got sold in the store.

The reason we had to do that was because a lot of the manufacturers wouldn't supply us as we were selling at discount.  We had to source a lot of the stuff from the US to get it.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    PhilKing said:
    I used to manage one of the shops that ran full back page ads in the 70's, JSG in Bingley (later became Spectre Sound).  Everything we advertised was in stock, usually we had more than one of each colour too.  The only time you might miss out was if we had a secondhand item that got sold in the store.

The reason we had to do that was because a lot of the manufacturers wouldn't supply us as we were selling at discount.  We had to source a lot of the stuff from the US to get it.

I think we've touched base before - I recall a visit to JSG and yes full of stock - And yes JSG had a big reputation in the day - Recall a late night shopping experience as well 

But many of the London dealers, in the 70's and 80's,  did not back up their ads stock listing