Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who here runs their own business?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• What I wanna do is develop some software for guitarists and try to address what I've noticed is a bit of an issue in the market - more of a workflow thing rather than a sound quality thing.

I have some coding chops, but certainly not enough to build the thing I am imagining, and I only have an inkling that it would sell. No hardcore proof.

Fundamentally I think getting my coding chops up to speed with C++ and something like JUCE would be a good idea for long-term career progression and entrepreneurship.

I spoke to Tim last night and he asked me what I wanted. Best I could come up with was "to make cool shit" - which is pretty much what I have wanted since I left uni at least, but probably even since I was a kid. I've not given up on that goal, but it's getting harder to know what it really means. 

Someone asked what about the band. Fundamentally the band is a hobby that has had some low level success in the niche world of instrumental post-rock and metal. But it isn't going to pay the bills and I never thought it could. Again, make cool shit.

Selling cool shit is something I don't entirely "get" right now. But I'm getting older and have a family now. I need to really learn how to do that.
    FWIW :
    I mentioned my brothers earlier who were driven by the desire to be their own bosses and who put in the hours because if they didn't they'd have to find a 9-5 job again ( the younger one is doing that at the moment albeit on a fixed term contract so he has some vestiges of self employment). Between them they've sold socks on market stalls, built water butts, developed a small row of shops to let, offered marketing advice to small businesses, developed and sold educational software, helped set up IT solutions for small businesses, done picture framing, managed a pet grooming salon,etc,etc. I think what you are saying is coming from a very different place to this. If I was on the panel of Dragon's Den I think I'd be saying to sell your ideas to someone else and let them do the business part. Or partner up with someone who is driven like my brothers were ( one is dead and the other is retiring so not them specifically).      
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    I must admit, I never had a business plan. I started this with about £500 cash and it pretty much snowballed. Now, I was working full time at that point too so I was able to reinvest everything back into stock but at no point did I ever have a plan of action. Even when I decided to quit my main job (out of necessity) and take it full time I didn’t have anything solid to refer to. I made sure I worked hard and put everything into it that I had. I suppose I still am doing that. I have little money and I have to work ridiculously hard and long days to make it all work but I’m determined to keep it going... we’ve come too far to fail.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited November 2019
    I asked about the band but what I meant was would you have enough time and energy to keep it going?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11916
    Think about your overheads too, you are living in an expensive part of the UK AFAIK

Most people need 2 years to get up to speed with C++ 
    And if you want to then be employed using it, there's another layer of experience in the workplace to develop, I'm guessing you have most of that already
  • I've begun my first foray into machine learning. Gonna need a bit o' thart.

Bye!