Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do very few people use valve amplifiers for bass guitar?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I use a Sound City B50+. Currently with 210 cab but previously 410. Reasonably able to carry and the only issues I have with guitarists Marshall is when he decides to use the neck pup on his LP Deluxe. But that's more mix than volume.
    My dad has a Sound City 120 mk4 that I reeeeally want to requisition and try on bass. I heard the true active EQ on these amps makes them great for bass.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    I think the Ampeg SVT has cleaned up the market.
    Don't know if Marshall still do a valve bass amp.
    I used to have a Burman in the 70s/80s; it was a bloody heavy lump of a thing.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    I love valves for bass unless I have to pick the amp up. I currently use a mark bass combo. Sounds good and the d.I. output is post or pre with a volume. 

Imho the amp is a monitor and a good d.I. section  is essential. 
  • prowla said:
    I think the Ampeg SVT has cleaned up the market.
    Don't know if Marshall still do a valve bass amp.
    I used to have a Burman in the 70s/80s; it was a bloody heavy lump of a thing.
    They did used to make one and it was excellent.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I use and orange ad200. Nothing else seems to sound like it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I use and orange ad200. Nothing else seems to sound like it!
    I saw the guy from Tyler Bryant and the Shakedown promoting that amp in a magazine so I tried out the Amplitube model of it and loved it. Easily my favourite dirty bass tone I've managed to get.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    thegummy said:
    PhilKing said:
    For gigging I use a McIntyre valve preamp with a Crest SS stereo power amp, into an Ear Candy 2x10 and 2 Ear Candy 1x15's.  For recording though I have an old Ampeg B-15N that sounds great mic'd with an AKG D-112.  I also have an Acoustic small 1x12 bass combo that I use for rehearsals, as it's much easier to move around than the full rig.  I sometimes just use one of the 15's, as in this shot (with an old Trace Elliott 2x10).

Off topic but I LOVE that pink P!
    Thanks, it's a 66 refinished in shell pink that I got very cheaply because everything had been restored.  It plays great and has a BK 62 P-bass pickup which really makes it growl.  The Jazz is a Bravewood 62 in Burgundy Mist (again with BK Pickups).
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    PhilKing said:
    thegummy said:
    PhilKing said:
    For gigging I use a McIntyre valve preamp with a Crest SS stereo power amp, into an Ear Candy 2x10 and 2 Ear Candy 1x15's.  For recording though I have an old Ampeg B-15N that sounds great mic'd with an AKG D-112.  I also have an Acoustic small 1x12 bass combo that I use for rehearsals, as it's much easier to move around than the full rig.  I sometimes just use one of the 15's, as in this shot (with an old Trace Elliott 2x10).

Off topic but I LOVE that pink P!
    Thanks, it's a 66 refinished in shell pink that I got very cheaply because everything had been restored.  It plays great and has a BK 62 P-bass pickup which really makes it growl.  The Jazz is a Bravewood 62 in Burgundy Mist (again with BK Pickups).
    Sweet, how is the 62 pickup?

I wanted to compare it to their other P pickup just yesterday but the clip on their website is exactly the same for both.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    I really like it.  Many years ago I had an original 62 P-Bass and was talking to Tim at BK about the sound of it and how the 66 really didn't get the same sound.  He said he could make me a pickup to reproduce the 62 sound (and I think this is what became the production model).  It gets exactly the sound I used to have (of course that's only my memory, not side by side comparisons), but it is full across the neck, with the low-E pushing hard and having that growl that Precisions can do.  I was using it in a rehearsal studio in NY, through an Aguilar and 2 4x10's with horns, and the speakers were suffering on the low-E, where with my Modulus 5-String, they were fine with the low-B (that has Bartolini's on it).