Composition Challenge #28 - Chat

stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
edited March 2020 in Making Music
COMPOSITION CHALLENGE 28

Time for round #28 of the Fretboard Composition Challenge.

Every few months there'll be a composition challenge. It revolves around individuals or groups of forum members composing and recording music based on a set of rules or guidelines laid out for that particular challenge.
No prizes for this challenge. It's just for fun, a spur to creating, sharing, discussing music/recording and learning. Plus a way of testing the water with your creations and getting some feedback.

GUIDELINES -THEME
The idea for this theme comes from @Fretwired in his post on October 23 at the link below:
https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/161419/composition-challenge-27-chat/p2

The theme for this one is:
"Back to the 80's"
... hair metal, the rise of the new wave of British heavy metal with bands like Iron Maiden, the reinvention of Whitesnake with the platinum selling 1987, Steve Vai's Passin and Warfare, Yngwie Malmsteen's shred, albums from bands like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ratt, Skid Row, Motorhead, Metallica, Van Halen or the chorused delay sound of bands like the Police or the Cockteau Twins, or the Clash, Nirvana or Ramones or prog rock from Rush and Pink Floyd.

A nice wide open challenge, so there should be something for everyone to relate to.

Picture: In addition to the music, try to create your own picture that relates to your selected theme/title. This isn't mandatory but, as a small incentive, those that provide a picture will be awarded a free point to add to their voting score. Note the picture can be anything from a hand drawn sketch, photo, photo edit or something generated in a graphics package.

DATES AND VOTING
Fretboard Challenge #28 starts NOW! - Submission deadline -  when there are at least two entries.
Voting will start soon after the submission deadline and run for about two weeks, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
The entry with the most points wins.
The order and scores of the three people with the most votes will be announced soon after the voting ends.

SUBMISSION DETAILS
All recordings and pictures need to be sent via email to Compositions@theFB.co.uk
Songs to be submitted in mp3 format.
Pictures to be in jpg or png format.
It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Made a start on this .... got some lovely synths recorded.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:

Still tossing ideas around here. I thought I might try something in the style of Jethro Tull, then realised I'd got the wrong decade.

It's not a competition.
    Fretwired said:

Still tossing ideas around here. I thought I might try something in the style of Jethro Tull, then realised I'd got the wrong decade.

Tull released five albums in the 80's including Crest of a Knave which went on to win the 1989 Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance Vocal or Instrumental, beating the heavily favoured ...And Justice for All (Metallica) and critics' choice Nothing's Shocking (Jane's Addiction). Tull didn't bother attending as they thought their inclusion was a joke ..

• Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

Tull released five albums in the 80's including Crest of a Knave which went on to win the 1989 Grammy Award...

I had that on CD. Great album as I recall. Still I'm looking for something that's more typical of the 80s, whilst trying to avoid anything that's remotely neo-classical metal.

It's not a competition.
  • Just to check, is it anything 1980s influenced or does it need to be 80s rock/metal?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Just to check, is it anything 1980s influenced or does it need to be 80s rock/metal?

Anything 80's influenced. I'm thinking I might go for something that isn't rock or metal.

It's not a competition.

Anything 80's influenced. I'm thinking I might go for something that isn't rock or metal.

oh that's good then, as I don't play 80s much at all (was a 90s child) so appreciate the flexibility. If I manage anything I reckon it'll sound like a rip off of a recent 80s rip off, if that makes sense
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited February 2020
    I think I'm nearly there with the music. Is anyone else making progress? About three weeks to go. 

It's not a competition.
    I think I'm nearly there with the music. Is anyone else making progress? About three weeks to go. 

Yes - I have the basics done .. drums, bass and keyboards .. just some guitar to go.

• The music is sorted, now I just need to do the picture.

A reminder that there's just over one week to go,

It's not a competition.
  • Only a few days left to go. It's a bit quiet.
    It's not a competition.
  • A reminder that (in theory) entry closes at midnight tonight. Is anyone close or need a bit more time?

@Fretwired how are you getting on with your entry.

It's not a competition.
    I got your PM message - sadly I've spent most of the the last 10 days in bed ill with a bronchial chest infection, hence I've not been on the forum very much. I'm feeling better but not 100%. My track is nearly finished but I won't make the deadline. I think I could finish it by the end of Feb were there to be an extension.

• Fretwired said:
    I got your PM message - sadly I've spent most of the the last 10 days in bed ill with a bronchial chest infection, hence I've not been on the forum very much. I'm feeling better but not 100%. My track is nearly finished but I won't make the deadline. I think I could finish it by the end of Feb were there to be an extension.
    Hope you get better soon. My wife has had something similar. I'll extended the entry deadline until you're ready.

It's not a competition.
    Thanks - I'll aim to finish it by Friday if I can. I haven't felt this rough for 30+ years.

• Deadline moved to 1st March 2020.

It's not a competition.
    Deadline moved to 1st March 2020.

Thanks. I'm free tomorrow and Sunday so I'll get mine finished.

• Fretwired said:

OK. Let me know if you need more time. It's just going to be you and me for this one.

It's not a competition.
    Fretwired said:

OK. Let me know if you need more time. It's just going to be you and me for this one.

Nearly finished it yesterday - I have a severe throat and ear infection so am not 100%. Will try and finish today - am 95% of the way there.

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    Fretwired said:
    Nearly finished it yesterday - I have a severe throat and ear infection so am not 100%. Will try and finish today - am 95% of the way there.

Sorry to hear that. No rush. I hope you're better soon.
    I've change the deadline to "when there are at least two entries", so you have as much time as you need.

It's not a competition.