SD STK-J2 vs standard jazz bridge pickup A/B test

funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

I recently upgraded my bridge pickup on my Fender Aerodyne Jazz bass, and decided that I'd put together a comparison video (since I really couldnt find any that were a true comparison). Thought this might be of interest to someone perhaps. Recorded 20 minutes apart, with nothing in the chain other than my zoom b9.1ut used as a giant red DI box (ie totally bypassed). I wish other folk would do this!

I must admit, although i do hear a slight difference in tone, its not massive, and the volume seems to be roughly the same too, so nothing really drastic. Apart from the single coil hum being gone.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72516
    I like these pickups.

I do hear it as being more midrangy and less trebly, but not much louder. That's not surprising - it's actually quite difficult to get a stacked humbucker sound the same as a single coil... usually they end up thinner and weaker, so to even retain the same volume and get a slightly thicker sound is doing pretty well.

Lack of hum is a real plus though. I've played in a couple of places where a non-hum-cancelling bass is effectively unusable - admittedly you would still have the P pickup, but that's not always the sound you want to use. I wouldn't consider a bass without at least one hum-cancelling setting, and preferably all of them, for a gigging bass now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    edited May 2014
    Yeah it sounds a bit less trebly to me too.

EDIT: Nice clip, nice to hear a fair test, as you said. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom