Tele Scratch Plates

What's Hot
wwwwww Frets: 72
Where do you guys buy your scratch plates from? I'm putting together a double-bound 3TB tele and looking to put a mint scratch plate on it but it's so hard to tell from photos what the colours are really like! Some seem a bit too green but it could be just a bad photo. Any recommendations?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Go white, as it will turn yellow in tandem with the binding. Leave it in the sun
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    The minty plastic ‘guards usually are excessively green whereas the original material was more of a ping pong ball greyish green off-white.

Also, for the colossally retentive, the edge bevel angle is usually historically incorrect.

I have a spare MG/Bk/MG ‘guard from a Fender Am Dlx Tele. It has the two screw holes for suspending the neck/Rhythm pickup and some bizarre scratch marks on its underside. I doubt that I’ll ever use it. £15 PPG shipped.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I  normally buy from Axecaster or Axesrus
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wwwwww Frets: 72
    The minty plastic ‘guards usually are excessively green whereas the original material was more of a ping pong ball greyish green off-white.

Also, for the colossally retentive, the edge bevel angle is usually historically incorrect.

I have a spare MG/Bk/MG ‘guard from a Fender Am Dlx Tele. It has the two screw holes for suspending the neck/Rhythm pickup and some bizarre scratch marks on its underside. I doubt that I’ll ever use it. £15 PPG shipped.
    Agree with you that most of them do seem way too green. I think the original colour came from bleeding of nitrate(?) from the black middle ply into the outer white ply so was actually very subtle.

I'm looking for one without the neck pup holes, otherwise I'd have that off you. Thanks for the offer though 

normula1 said:
    I  normally buy from Axecaster or Axesrus
    I buy stuff from them too but can't tell what colour the scratch plates are
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    @gavin_axecaster can sort you out.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2392
    Jack's Instrument Services in Manchester do custom scratchplates. Currently having a black/cream/black one made for my double bound parts Tele and the price isn't unreasonable.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    The pic of my guards is a good representation on my monitor.
    Mint/parchment/white/black

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I buy mine from Northwest Guitars. I've never bought a mint green one though.
  • timmypix said:
    Jack's Instrument Services in Manchester do custom scratchplates. Currently having a black/cream/black one made for my double bound parts Tele and the price isn't unreasonable.
    Very good indeed, and excellent wiring work too.
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    Thanks all. Still struggling with colour representation though. Grrrrr....
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Pop mint green in the daylight for a week and it’ll soon bleach the freshness out of it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    edited November 2019
    timmypix said:
    They do superb work, Especially good for Archtop multi layer original looking Tortie etc
    I looked at Jack's but they were a little more pricey than I was hoping. Ended up going for this one from Charles Guitars https://www.charlesguitars.co.uk/parts-shop/tele-parts/plastic-hardware/t-type-60s-mint-green-pickguard ;