Intonation and bridge puzzlement

MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 258
edited November 2019 in Guitar
Hi all

Many electric guitars have adjustable saddles to perfect the intonation. But some just have a plain straight bridge - why is this?

Martin
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Do you mean ones like this? - https://images.app.goo.gl/UaB6XgxDABcSH9CHA

• Theres a Gordon Smith guitar elsewhere on this section that got me thinking.

But I was also thinking acoustic guitars which seem to have no adjustments at the bridge end.
  • The Gordon Smith is 'probably' a variation on the one above where the slots determine the termination point for each string and the intonation is permanently set that way.

Traditional acoustics are much the same. The contact point for each string is shaped dfferently to set the overall length up to the nut. Some split the bridge like this one - https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/12092414172167--takamine-p3dc

• So my Snail ukulele bridge, which looks to be shaped along its length, is the same sort of idea?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72761
    It depends how perfect you want the intonation to be...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Personally I think my ears are out of tune, so perfect intonation of a guitar is perhaps secondary :)
  • Ukuleles, in my humble opinion, sound better/more authentic when they are slightly out of tune.