BBC at it again. . .

What's Hot
How long ago was it that The Beeb made the Boris wreath changes?

Sorry, it is only posted on Twitter that I know of.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    The beeb can never win.  
    The right will always accuse them of be biased towards the left and the left will accuse them of being biased towards the right. 

Even as a ‘revoker’ myself, I am sometimes amazed at how anti brexit someone like Emma Barnett is on 5Live.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    RobDavies said:
    The beeb can never win.  
    The right will always accuse them of be biased towards the left and the left will accuse them of being biased towards the right. 

Even as a ‘revoker’ myself, I am sometimes amazed at how anti brexit someone like Emma Barnett is on 5Live.

Balanced out by Jeremy Vile to provide impartiality.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Is the twitter link the original? In that one there is laughter then applause. That’s what I also saw on TV because I remember the laughter at that question. Where’s the editing?
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    I always thought the Beeb were a bastion of truth and impartiality but that illusion was shattered during the Scottish independence referendum. And not because of which side of fence I'm on (I was undecided throughout most of the campaign) but due to the blatant lies and misreporting that was being broadcast.

Which is a shame as the rest of the world seems to have this golden image of Auntie Beeb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    DiscoStu said:
    I always thought the Beeb were a bastion of truth and impartiality but that illusion was shattered during the Scottish independence referendum. And not because of which side of fence I'm on (I was undecided throughout most of the campaign) but due to the blatant lies and misreporting that was being broadcast.

Which is a shame as the rest of the world seems to have this golden image of Auntie Beeb.
    For sure.
  • Is the twitter link the original? In that one there is laughter then applause. That’s what I also saw on TV because I remember the laughter at that question. Where’s the editing?
    They showed it in the news programme after the QT special but edited it out on the News at One programme the next day.

Cynics might say that's because those who watched QT would have noticed it at 10pm straight after QT but people wanting to catch up the next day would be none the wiser
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    edited November 2019
    My own view is that the Beeb is left-leaning on most issues in a "progressive centrist" sort of way but there are two obvious areas where it isn't.

1. The royal family.  There's a long, deep tradition of the Beeb being royalist, and it's never shown any sign of deviation from that.  I think it still sees it as part of its essential function.  If will report the Andrew fiasco etc, but as soon as we get a birth or marriage it will revert to its default obsequiousness.  There's a jarring disconnect between it's knee-jerk progressiveness in matters of race, gender, sexual identity etc and its ritual genuflection in front of the Windsors.

2.  Issues dealing directly with UK party politics.  The Tories in particular like to have a regular kick at the Beeb, and it's worked: the Beeb is scared of them.  They know most of its employees are instinctively anti-Tory and they're terrified if it shows the Tories in power will have their revenge.  As a result it overcompensates.  Interestingly the high profile instinctive right wingers who do work at the Beeb tend to be the ones reporting or commenting on party political issues (Andrew Neil, Laura Kuensberg, Nick Robinson, Jeremy Paxman).  Again there's a disconnect: when talking about "issues" in a general way, the Beeb is progressive and somewhat lefty;  when dealing with hard, real-time politics like General Elections it tacks to the right.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    Here's the photo the BBC used in a report about a 2015 independence rally in Glasgow:

https://wingsoverscotland.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/bs2.jpg

But here's a pic of what was really going on that day:

https://wingsoverscotland.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/photo.jpg

Ok so they acknowledged that the rally happened but the image used was there to downplay the scale of the event. Biased reporting.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    @ten77guitar ;You would need to view the whole thread on twitter, just click the post. I can't vouch for the veracity of this.

I agree with others that the Beeb should not become an arm of the politicians. I remember the reversal of the Miners strike footage that was very naughty. If the government believed the miners deserved a beating then justify it, don't play Orwellian tricks. Of course I'm familiar with many more Beeb truth adjustments. I also know everybody does it but with the Beeb, many many moons ago I held them in high esteem (how quaintly naïve) so it does still kind of shock me when I see the Beeb playing games.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I watched the unedited version broadcast I thought it was the same? 
  • My own view is that the Beeb is left-leaning on most issues in a "progressive centrist" sort of way but there are two obvious areas where it isn't.

1. The royal family.  There's a long, deep tradition of the Beeb being royalist, and it's never shown any sign of deviation from that.  I think it still sees it as part of its essential function.  If will report the Andrew fiasco etc, but as soon as we get a birth or marriage it will revert to its default obsequiousness.  There's a jarring disconnect between it's knee-jerk progressiveness in matters of race, gender, sexual identity etc and its ritual genuflection in front of the Windsors.

2.  Issues dealing directly with UK party politics.  The Tories in particular like to have a regular kick at the Beeb, and it's worked: the Beeb is scared of them.  They know most of its employees are instinctively anti-Tory and they're terrified if it shows the Tories in power will have their revenge.  As a result it overcompensates.  Interestingly the high profile instinctive right wingers who do work at the Beeb tend to be the ones reporting or commenting on party political issues (Andrew Neil, Laura Kuensberg, Nick Robinson, Jeremy Paxman).  Again there's a disconnect: when talking about "issues" in a general way, the Beeb is progressive and somewhat lefty;  when dealing with hard, real-time politics it tacks to the right.

I think there’s a lot of truth in that. Another aspect is that the Beeb is never going to be overtly against the ruling party, given that they in principle at least have the power to take away its funding.
  • The Beeb? The same institution that covered up a child molester for many year? Does ANYONE trust them? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDavies said:
    The beeb can never win.  

As balance to the sterling pro-Brexit work John Humphrys did perhaps? 

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited November 2019
    The only BBC news programme worth watching is Panodrama if you enjoy a good laugh. Unfortunately the head honcho got fired for taking it all a bit too far  :)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited November 2019
    This is an interesting take on bias and not what you might expect from someone who worked there for 26 years .. worth listening all the way through if you are interested.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I saw the title of the thread and well.. I didnt think British Broadcasting. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited November 2019
    Fretwired said:
    This is an interesting take on bias and not what you might expect from someone who worked there for 26 years .. worth listening all the way through if you are interested.
    Quite interesting, but there is also another layer of two above this that isn't so well-known.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    It's alright it was just a mistake ;)