Acoustic Guitar Strings - Nylon

What's Hot
Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
Hi Folks - I have been asked to restring a couple of classical guitars, with nylon top strings and wound lower strings, but have no idea about string gauge, types, makes etc.
Do nylon strings come in different thicknesses? I am looking for a middle of the road set of strings for both guitars. Both guitars are made in spain, the first is an Admira - Almeria, and the second is an Admira Infante. Any advise on what strings to buy greatly appreciated. Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72406
    They come in different tensions rather than gauges - usually normal, hard and extra hard, although different makers have different interpretations of what those mean...

For a good middle-of-the-road set I would use D'Addario Pro Arte Hard Tension, they're probably as close to an industry standard as anything.

Bear in mind I'm not a classical guitarist, I just work on them quite often.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    ICBM said:
    They come in different tensions rather than gauges - usually normal, hard and extra hard, although different makers have different interpretations of what those mean...

For a good middle-of-the-road set I would use D'Addario Pro Arte Hard Tension, they're probably as close to an industry standard as anything.

Bear in mind I'm not a classical guitarist, I just work on them quite often.
    Thanks mate. Would I be correct in assuming that normal are easier on the fingers, than extra hard? And do you get more tone / volume from extra hard?
    Mark1960 said:

Would I be correct in assuming that normal are easier on the fingers, than extra hard? And do you get more tone / volume from extra hard?
    Normal should be a bit easier to press down, but can seem harder to play - especially if you're coming from electric or steel-string acoustic - because they flap and rattle more, so you may need the action higher. I actually find hard tension and a lower action easier. I haven't used Extra Hard much but they seem to have a more strident tone rather than more volume.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I second D’addario Pro Arte but I would go for normal tension on those guitars which are more likely to be used by beginners, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    I use Pro Arte hard tension on my electro classical because they work better with a plectrum. A full-on fingerstyle player may have a different preference.
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Thanks guys. One final question, when fitting the strings, do you wrap the string arond the bar before pushing it through the hole, or the otherway round. If you push the string through the hole first, how do you lock the string to stop from slipping?
    I pull the string tightly through the machinehead roller, then take it a half turn round the bottom of the roller, over the top of the main part of the string and then trap it under as you wind on, so it looks like a simple knot with the roller in the middle. Pull on the string as you wind on as well - both these things will help reduce the amount you need to constantly tune up to begin with as the string stretches.

• Mark1960 said:
    Thanks guys. One final question, when fitting the strings, do you wrap the string arond the bar before pushing it through the hole, or the otherway round. If you push the string through the hole first, how do you lock the string to stop from slipping?
    Do you mean on the machine heads? I go through the hole then back over the top of the bar and loop it back under the string. Hold the string up to keep it under tension then start tightening the tuner and make sure the point where the string is looped under sits in the hole. This will stop it from slipping as you tighten it. It’s a bit hard to explain in writing.